Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's what you need to bring to work in VN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferryc2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Thanks for the message Reply with quote

Thanks for the message!
darcypog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Here's what you need to bring to work in VN Reply with quote

Hi Ryno,

Can you tell me where I can get a copy of the laws on the work permits in VN and English.

I have had my papers in with my school for over 3 months and they informed me last week that the Ministry of Labour wil not approve my application because I don't have a degree even though I have a TESOL.

The amusing part though is the person at the school said but its ok you can still work here (then why do I need a permit?)

Reason I want to get the permit is that the police came to my house a year ago (landlord didn't register us) and the first things they asked for were passport, visa and work permit. All I could show them was my contract from the school which they accepted.

I just don't want to be in that situation again and have to pay off some angry copper at 1am.
mrfate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: The real deal Reply with quote

Ok guys... to say only 80 people in HCMC have work permits is not true...

Presently all the larger schools HAVE to have work permits for their teachers to work. I think there is a 3 month grace period so that u can get these documents.

If you are not from Australia, I you MUST get the police clearance certificate before you leave your country. It is basically impossible to get it from Vietnam.

I know for a fact that at my school (80+ teachers) most people have got work permits now or have submitted them. So to say that my school is the only one to submit is just not true... I know of many other schools which have already organised their teacher's work permits.

Unfortunetly, you must have a degree and you must have a TEFL/CELTA certificate and you must have a police clearance certificate and a medical.

They have already started deporting and sacking teachers from school. I may be possible to keep working, but your job security at a school is not definate unless you get the permit. I guess it is possible to keep changing schools every 3 months, or try and stay undetected, but I guess it's up to you what is most important for you. (Also expect lower pay if u change schools alot)

Anyways, I hope that helps. That is the current situation, it may change but for now the Ministry of Education is bent on this new ruling.

Enjoy!
mrfate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: The real deal Reply with quote

Last edited by mrfate on Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Snaff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Countdown.

You've been quite a help:

Rolling Eyes
VC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed an advertisement for Expat Paper Works which helps Americans obtain a work permit.

"If you�re an American living in Vietnam, you probably know how irritating it is to get your working papers authenticated. Expat-Paper-Works offers a full service of getting your credential certificates processed fast. Through this service you�ll be able to get your papers notarized, state sealed and authenticated for a reasonable fee. Don�t worry about getting the papers done yourself. Just present us with your documents and we�ll do the full authentication process for you hassle free."

Call in Vietnam: 090 956 8824 or 090 836 2825

Call in USA: +1 888 484 7230
Fax in USA: +1 888 484 7230

email: [email protected]
http://expatpaperworks.blogspot.com/
yakuzaphil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the specifics of what the Vietnamese are asking for as far as the Police Backgoround Check for Americans? Is it just a local police check of the last place lived in the US, or do they want a full FBI background check? Replies by anyone who has had experience with this in regards to the work permit are greatly appreciated.
ESL_Professional

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather, for a US citizen who wants to work in Vietnam, they will need a complete FBI background check. This is really not as bad as you may think. All you have to do is get printed at a local police station and then send in that fingerprint card with an $18 fee to the FBI in Virginia and in about a month, if you have no record, they will send back to you your fingerprint card with a stamp that says "No record" or something like that which means you have no criminal record with the FBI. This serves as the police clearance certificate that the Vietnamese government requires. It would be better to get the national check rather than just a local or state check as the national check is all encompassing (and in California, believe it or not, is actually cheaper!) The national check costs $18 plus $10 to be fingerprinted at a local police station, but the Califonia check costs $32 plus about $50 to be fingerprinted because the California Department of Justice only accepts Live Scan for fingerprinting which is much more expensive. You can get more information from the FBI by visiting www.fbi.gov and clicking on the "more services" link on the bottom left-hand side.
ESL_Professional

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy of a reply that was sent to me from the FBI:

Mr. xxxxxxxx:

You can use the live-scan prints if they can print them out on an actual card.

There are also fingerprint cards which may be downloaded and printed (on regular paper) from our website. Please visit our website, www. FBI.gov. Once you are on this website, click on �more services� on left side of the page, scroll down to �get information I need� and click on �request an FBI identification record or rap sheet�. This will provide all the information you need to request a copy of your record, provide the opportunity to download and print an FD-258 fingerprint card, and provide the procedure for challenging and/or making corrections to your record.

If you would prefer to have us mail you cards, we can do so as no charge to you - just let me know!

If you have any further questions, please feel free contact me.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

Monetary Instruments Handling
FBI CJIS Division
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

[email protected] or [email protected]

You can just e-mail the FBI at "[email protected]" or "[email protected]" and they will answer any questions you may have about FBI background checks. You can also call them at (304) 625-5590 or (304) 625-3878.
ESL_Professional

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called the FBI. They said it takes more than a month to get your results back from them. Indeed, it takes 8 to 10 weeks, but I think you would probably still be allowed to work in Vietnam during this time if at least it were in process. Maybe you could photocopy your application to the FBI and show that to your school during the time you have not yet received your results to show them that you are in the process of getting the requirements.

I also called the State Department Authentication Office the original poster mentioned, they will authenticate your results in only 3 days and the fee is only $6.

The FBI told me they do not authenticate or certify the results and that if requested they will mail you a paper with your results stating that fact. When you send in your fingerprint card you just need to also request that you receive a "letter of procedure" be mailed to you along with your results.

I hope this information helps everybody.
Gregor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryno,
Man, oh man, I hope this stuff is still current. I have never read a more useful sticky in my time on this board. I have actually copied the whole thing and pasted it into a Word document for reference. It IS a bigger hassle than it really needs to be, but it's not insurrmountable. Thank you very much for the info.
rdix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was recently in Thailand (the "Coup",) and am trying to educate myself on ESL teaching in South East Asia. I am older than most of you, with perhaps my own 30-yr. perspective on supply and demand. And my conclusion is that TESOL in SE Asia has lost its sense of value and pride.

Frankly, having digested info from a number of countries in South East Asia regarding their approach to TESOL, - I am sensing the need for a co-ordinated International TESOL approach BY TEACHERS; not by Agencies - not by Schools, but by the TEACHERS themselves who actually provide the goods and services. Come on TEACHERS, stop being passed around every country's tiresome beaurocracy and paperwork - and kick backs -and hand-backs! Call this crap for what it is.

I could resort to by native north-of England vernacular and say, - "enough of this shit."

TO INSTITUTIONS IN: South-East-Asia:

For whatever reason, you agree that you need to learn English. Now, in that case, these are the conditions under which I, a qualifed teacher of English, am happy and willing to teach you English. Don't argue with me, don't hassle me; this is what I can do for you, and these are MY conditions. Let's talk.

just an outrageous idea from:
rdix
Mr Wind-up Bird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger:
Unfortunately organisation, coordination and doing anything that involves work outside the classroom are anathema to many ESL teachers in VN.

It's essentially a chicken & egg situation - in my opinion, schools here don't value teachers, and the authorities make them jump through lots of bureaucratic hoops, because VN still has far too many backpacker/slacker teachers and not enough dedicated, qualified people. If more teachers treated their job as a profession rather than simply a means to get paid travel or to fund their drinking/prostitution habits, the situation would rapidly change. I can name you at least 4 people (me included) who've left the ESL scene here to either move abroad or to another business sector in VN because they're so appalled not by the way they were treated by employers/government, but by the attitude and lack of professionalism shown by many (most?) ESL teachers.
harold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: fbi check for americans Reply with quote

background check for americans:

every representative i talked to at the FBI told me that it's routine to process a background check from someone already abroad. all the info you need is here: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm .scroll down to the fifth heading "how to request a copy of record." here you'll find three forms you need to print and send - the simple cover letter you fill out, the fingerprint form, and the payment info, the last of which you'll have to use to pay by credit card unless you can sort out some sort of foreign money order. it takes a while, but you can ask for the check to be expedited and they say they usually can speed things up for you.

re: fingerprint form - you don't have to be fingerprinted at a police station, just by anyone who can get it right. a problem here is that if the fingerprints turn out to be unacceptable, the process can't be completed, and i was told this morning that the prints can be deemed unacceptable at any time during the process.
another issue - there are two types of fingerprinting methods - 1.) the standard ink things and 2.) something called "livescan." now, the FBI doesn't accept the latter, and requires that you submit ink prints using their form from the website i listed above. unfortunately, police stations prefer the livescan and there's not a single police station that can do an ink fingerprint within my entire city. i'll thus have to get some private guy to do the prints. apparently there are people trained to do such things, and that's fine by the FBI, and as long as they get it right then there's no problem.

one reason this might have been difficult for others is that a state background check seems impossible to do abroad. i did one of those also and it required a stamp from a notary republic, and i don't know if you can get that at a consulate. anyway, for me the state background check took ages and it cost forty bucks, and the FBI people have been pretty nice and the process has been simpler and cheaper at only $18.

all of the information i received came from nice people at 304.625.5590 at the FBI office in West Virginia, which is the office you'll need to contact for the check regardless of where you live. their postal address is on the site i referenced above.
intlduke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: turnaround time on fbi record check Reply with quote

What kind of turnaround time have people experienced with the FBI record check?

Also has anyone gotten a hard time from VN authorites for having a "record" with the FBI? I have family that works in the NSA and am pretty sure myself and others in my immediate family have a "record," but only because we have been used as references...gotta love how vague and ominous that is "record on file."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: