Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do we do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RachelA_Broad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Posts are like a child Reply with quote

Hey all!
Thanks for all of your feedback! I must say it is interesting to see where discussions go once you put them out there...its kind of like starting a story and then passing it to the next person isn't it?
Actually Capergirl, Wolf, Celeste, and I'm sure the tons of other people who get familial resistance, I certainly relate!
Usually my sister and I work in tandem to convince our parents of something but this time my Mom got to her first and so they are both questioning my thought process. They wanted to get me to take a European vacation and then "come home and find a real career". I tried rational thought on them but they have obviously got their deflector shields up at maximum capacity Wink
Its kind of Shocked to find out that all of this animosity won't go away once I start teaching abroad. But hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles!!
I must say, I have had the opportunity to volunteer with Refugee Resettlement here in Vermont lately and find it to be, hands down, one of the most rewarding parts of the week. Last night I got the best compliment of my life when the primary teacher told the woman I had been working with separately (because she was a bit behind the rest of the class) that he thought she could come and rejoin and she told him that she didn't want to, she wanted to keep learning with me! Ah, it is nice to know I'm helping her. I'm also learning a ton from the teacher just from watching class. If I can find a decent position abroad where the administration is good and I like the living situation ok I can see how I would not want to ever return to the mundane life of the computer glow. It�s so much more exciting and rewarding to have to interact with PEOPLE again (not just the spread sheets!!!)
Cool
Capergirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Posts are like a child Reply with quote

RachelA_Broad wrote:
They wanted to get me to take a European vacation and then "come home and find a real career". I tried rational thought on them but they have obviously got their deflector shields up at maximum capacity Wink
Its kind of Shocked to find out that all of this animosity won't go away once I start teaching abroad. But hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles!!

My father fought with me tooth and nail when I was getting ready to move to South Korea. It got so bad that I ended up not speaking to him for almost a year. Confused Your family means well, I'm sure, but like many well-meaning families, they may get on your nerves about the EFL thing. One of these days, however, they'll come to accept your decision and then you'll just be known in the family as "the eccentric one"...or maybe even "the crazy one". Wink Laughing
RachelA_Broad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: The crazy one Reply with quote

Quote:
Capergirl
One of these days, however, they'll come to accept your decision and then you'll just be known in the family as "the eccentric one"...or maybe even "the crazy one".

Luckily, I am already the crazy one since instead of a "nice normal" study abroad I chose Kenya as my destination. My poor mother though, she hoped that would do it for me. I would be rid of my traveling bug. Alas, not the case. They are pretty Cool about the whole situation at this point...my Mom looks at me and tears up like I'm about to go into combat and she will never see me again. I just give them the information that they want and try not to spend too much time dwelling on my plans with them. I keep trying to remind them of the vacation potential but they don't see it. Has anyone tried to form a parent support group? I think they could use it! Wink
Lynn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do we do it? Reply with quote

RachelA_Broad wrote:
Hey folks,
So here is my question to all the oldies on this board Wink , what would you say are some examples of why you stay in/enjoy this profession?
Wink
-Rachel

I'm feeling really blue about my present job situation, so I will give you a few examples of 'good' stories while I was in Japan.

1) I got completely lost on my bike, went to a gas station for directions, the guys ended up calling the place I was trying to get to, put my bike in the back of their truck and DROVE me to the location.

2) I couldn't figure out the train system. An old man tried to explain to me, then I realized I didn't have enough money for an express ticket. It was getting really late at night, and I realized I would just have to take the local. The express train pulled up, and the old man put an express ticket in my hand. I thanked him profusely and he just put his hands up to say, "no, no it's no big deal". He saved me about 2 hours!

KOREA- I was only there for 5 weeks

1) When I arrived at the airport I really wanted to call back home. I bought a telephone card but couldn't make a phone call. I was so frustrated. I was really hot and hungry and tired and I had lost my bags, and I had to fly to another city to meet my boss. I was about to cry when a young Korean woman came up to me in perfect English and helped me. She said she had just come back from a study abroad program in Australia. I hugged her and thanked her and even took a picture with her. She was truly and angel.

2) Because I know Japanese, I was able to pick up Korean quite quickly. It's seems a little boring, but I really enjoyed chit-chatting with the Korean taxi drivers. I felt my biggest sense of accomplishment after these short rides and actually carrying on a conversation. Maybe people don't talk to taxi drivers in Korea because they were always so happy and eager to talk to me.

USA
I teach adults. I have met some of the most interesting people in my classes. Some have even become friends. I have been introduced to many cultures and invited to many restaurants where my students work. I admit, I haven't made many friends in this city, but it's my students who I've gotten to know.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I do it because in Asia I can get really thin and lose my man-boobies. Shocked
Cobra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunaru must you keep posting the obvious?
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Cobra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends: (real, imaginary and otherwise)

DISCLAIMER:

I second that emotion.

However, be it out of common decency or tongue in cheek, to address one as "Dear Friend" is acceptable English and a common practice. Of course, only a real English teacher would know that! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: