Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do you live, what do you do, and is it cool?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you still be in germany a year from now?
yea
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
nea
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

istorik

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Where do you live, what do you do, and is it cool? Reply with quote

I thought it would be cool if we all posted and said where we live, what we teach(kids, adults, business english...) and how we like it. Who knows, some of us might be in the same cities. Very Happy

also, are you planning on a long term career in germany or are you going to move on next year or whenever your contract is up?

I for one live in T�bingen and teach in a town called Horb. Both of these cities are in Baden-W�rttemburg. I teach conversational english to a bunch of german engineers at a company called Leuco. It was tough at first because a) they are all �ber serious engineers and b) they are mostly about 20 years older than me. T�bingen is fun because it is a student-university city with alot to do.

But despite that, I am leaning towards moving on. Asia and Russia sound way too interesting to stick around here for another contract period.

Also, was denkt ihr?
eslHQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, wrong country
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany is the wrong country ?
jasonconga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in freiburg, far SW part of the country. I can't say the market is bad here, but you've got to be willing to leave freiburg to make money. I have job an hour away by car (80 minutes with train), another 40 minutes away by car and another 15 minutes by train. I do have long days with occasional pauses in the middle but really I feel like I have plenty of work, about 35hours/week with 9 different employers. Freiburg itself is an amazing place, it's one of my favorite spots in europe, actually on earth because of how i'm able to live. if only the finanzamt will leave me alone and let me get out of last year only have had to pay about 500euro in taxes...please please please!

p.s. i'll be here in a year most likely
poro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as kindly as possible, I found Germany and most Germans ok, but the German state is intensely irritating. They are very bureaucratic, and the system is inefficient. They can make you spit with frustration.

Strange, because many of our departments and state organization ideas are modeled on theirs, but ours work without a problem, and theirs drive you nuts.

hmmm....
poro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in defense of Germany, Russia is worse.

...from many standpoints
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: