Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for suggestions with regard to teaching in Taiwan...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Looking for suggestions with regard to teaching in Taiwan... Reply with quote

Nearing completion of my schooling (Bachelor of Education), I hope to arrive in Taiwan January 2004 to teach until August 2004 (possibly until Dec 2004). I would like to teach kindergarten or grade 1-2. My preferred work schedule is three full days or five half days.

1. Are there any reputable schools you would recommend in Taipei? What about Tainan? I've found three that "appear" reliable: Canadian-American Language Schools, Kid Castle and Taipei American School. Would anyone know of these? Any advice on finding a job?
2 How do you find teaching? Any recommendations on how to deal with Chinese children?
3. What is the cost of living per month? How much money is needed for your first few months? What is the cost of a second-hand scooter, and is it really a death machine?
4. Is January a good time to be looking for a job?
5. What is it like living in Taipei compared to Tainan?
6. Tickets: where did you find the best deal?
7. I am also currently learning Mandarin Chinese - which is better, tutor or school?
8. What is a good starting salary?

I would appreciate any suggestions with regard to the questions above, and also any other advice you many have.

Jammer
chi-chi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm not trying to burst your bubble or be negative, but honestly, Taiwan is not a very professional environment for teaching.
But if you're new to EFL, maybe you will like it.
I am just of the opinion that other countries-ok, many other countries-are more professional.
I met a lot of people-who were really cool, by the way-who were teaching in Taiwan without any college. I have no problem with this, but be aware that your BED may not earn you any more money than these people without a college degree.
Scooters-everyone drives them, and whether or not it's your cup of tea, is up to you. Getting a scooter is pretty much unavoidable outside of Taipei-even in larger cities like Kaohsiung, they are a must because of the sparse public transport.
A lot of people love scooters, but yeah almost everyone gets into some sort of big or small scrape eventually and I did meet people who got pretty messed up. The driving rules-or lack therof-are so different and non-existent.
Just bored and coming over from the Korea forum. But I do hope this helps somewhat as you do sound professional and this forum is very slow.
Chi-Chi
killian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can get on with tpe am school, by all means jump for it.

lookin for jobs? the classifieds within www.chinapost.com.tw are good. there seems to be a new scheme going around where public schools can now hire qualified teachers. lots of such schools have postings in the aforementioned site. no, they don't pay especially well.

www.tealit.com is currently the hottest job site.

studying chinese won't hurt. focus on the spoken.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi-chi wrote:
A lot of people love scooters, but yeah almost everyone gets into some sort of big or small scrape eventually and I did meet people who got pretty messed up. The driving rules-or lack therof-are so different and non-existent.

Yep. I was one of the ones who got pretty messed up. The rule of the road in Taiwan is: there are no rules! Wink As long as you remember that, you should be okay. Very Happy
willy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: ba in edu? Reply with quote

why TW $ i did`nt find any real teaching jobs there.
now i am in indo it can be better but the$ are in TW or KO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: