Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interested in working in Marseille

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Interested in working in Marseille Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I wondering if anyone can offer me some advice / ideas regarding teaching English in Marseille.
I have completed CELTA and have a very good level of French (I'm just finishing up an assistantship).
Any advice on good schools or tutoring organisations?
Happy foum to all, Amal. [/b]
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice for Marseille - yes.

Just scroll down and read the posts that are below.
bradwelljackson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a citizen of the USA who tried for a month to find a job teaching English in Marseille. First of all, never apply during late July or August like I did; all the schools are closed. I don't know if having a TEFL certificate is so much the issue as needing to have the work visa. In France, they are particular about that, and it is well-nigh impossible to get one if you are an American just wanting to get an English teaching job. If you do want to give it a shot, I recommend paying Wall Street a visit and talking to a woman named Lindsy (maybe that was ner last name?). Also, there is a school on rue de Rome in a plaza close to the prefecture. I think the address number was 5. If you write me back, I may be able to give you more specific info.

Good luck.
gypsea29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: more info on marseille Reply with quote

got any more info on that wall street lady with the work visa?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear, that lady at Wall St. doesn't have a visa - she's just intimating that she'll pay you crap wages under the table.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - better clarify - the lady at Wall St. has a visa herself, but not one for non-EU teachers!!
gypsea29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: not that naive Reply with quote

just did that to get your attention. thanks for responding. do you have any info on teaching in marseille? must you be EU?
michellem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to squash your hopes but you must be from the EU. You will NEVER get a visa if you are from the USA or Canada.
gypsea29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: merci Reply with quote

that's what I have heard. just confirmining the reality. thanks. latvia first for my citizenship then!

cheers
rieursanglier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: visas and Marseille Reply with quote

Hi
I am that woman Lindsay and yes, for my sins, I did work at Wall Street. The rule at WSI is/was that (generally) only EU citizens were employed, and then only native speakers of English. We did employ Americans but they had the necessary papers-people married to Frenchies and the like. And in response to one comment, yes, the salary is/was pitiful, but that is not a Marseille thing, it is France-wide at WSI. And just for the record, I had nothing to do with the sum paid to staff (speak to the Director Alicot about that)- in his favour, money was never paid "under the table".

The school mentioned which was near Prefecture has closed; it was an excellent school but it was bought out by a shark from Paris who, little by little, fired all his staff. It is now a consulate. Other places to try are Berlitz between the opera and the vieux port (staff seem happy there), Soft Formation (feedback not great) and the World Trade Centre (paid through a system of 'portage').
There are plenty of people who want English lessons in Marseille but you need to know people...your earnings will be more than the double of WSI if you can find the clients.
Good luck to you all - I managed to escape! Laughing
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsay the Merry Boar - I like it.

WSI has an awful reputation - a couple of years ago half the franchises in the South of France and Spain went bust and left staff unpaid and unemployed and students out of pocket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: