Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student visa working 20 hrs/wk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Student visa working 20 hrs/wk Reply with quote

I'm thinking of studying for another Master's degree next year in Oz. I'll be on a student visa and I understand I can work up to 20 hours per week.

I have an MA in TESOL and over thirteen years experience (4 years post-MA) and will try to offset my living expenses by teaching casually either at universities or TAFE or whatever else is available. I'm curious about what kind of hourly wage I could expect with such qualifications.

Since I'll be busy studying I doubt if I'd have time to teach 20hours/week, especially if it involves hopping to different locations, but I still think a reasonable workload would be 12hours/wk.

I'll be taking my family with me -- two children aged 4 and 1. I'm looking at renting a modest house for roughly $200/wk. and will enrol our oldest in a kindergarten ($6200/yr). I hope that I could at least find a job to offset some of these costs.

Any idea what I should expect?
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you going to be living?

Try looking at www.realestate.com.au and www.seek.com.au for information on rental prices and part-time jobs respectively.

Good luck!

Lozwich.
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps I wasn't writing clearly, but I am not currently looking for a job. I am more curious about the average hourly wage for teachers holding MA TESOLs.

Thanks for the links, anyway.
Johanna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Adelaide you could earn around $260 per day for 3 hours of teaching, 2 hours of consultations and 2 hours of preparation - the rate is $55 per hour but you're not paid for preparation. This is a casual contract rate and I think the rate in migrant education is similar.
moot point

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Johanna. Is it fair to assume conditions would be similar in different regions throughout Australia?
Super Mario

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the English College Teachers Award is a national one.
Living costs [mainly rent] vary greatly. The smaller cities are the best, but then there's probably fewer jobs. You'd struggle to rent a house in most cities for $200; a decent apartment would be doable aside from Sydney and maybe Melbourne.
moot point

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much set on living in Brisbane. The Master's in Teaching offered at Griffith is attractive to me, but I sometimes wonder why it is so much cheaper than other programs offered. I'd be grateful to get some feedback on anyone with inside knowledge of this course.

I had already looked in the link loswich provided and $200/wk homes do exist in Brisbane, but like I mentioned in my OP, they are very modest homes.

I also figure that Brisbane would give me a greater chance of finding ESL work compared to other options like Darwin, Perth, or even non-capital towns like Cairns, Townsville, Toowoomba, etc.
Johanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Rate of pay Reply with quote

The rate I was quoting was not at a NEAS accredited school. That was at an English Language Centre attached to a university. The pay is a casual instructor rate.

The NEAS award is Australia wide and is worked out on qualifications + experience. It has been mentioned elsewhere that Elicos schools are more likely to hire the cheaper, less experienced teachers at $35 an hour than more experienced teachers at $55 per hour - makes sense if you're the boss.

I would suggest looking into universities where they need experienced teachers to teach EAP and where qualifications and experience are valued (even if only a little bit Smile)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: