Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Bangalore - This is a must read

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reliable1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Moving to Bangalore - This is a must read Reply with quote

Hi Friends,

I thought I should share this piece of information with the forum. I had moved to Bangalore from the US sometime back. I did a lot of research trying to find some useful info on the city, but no luck!

And then I stumbled upon this ebook called Know Bangalore available on the website www.knowbangalore.com. Thanks to the book, I finally had a smooth transition into the garden city. I recommend this book for anyone planning to move to Bangalore and also for those already settled here but having a tough time with reliable info.

Cheers.
Belmont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: working in India Reply with quote

What do they pay you to teach in India? There is a conspicuous lack of salary quotes in the job postings. I visited India years ago; returning as a teacher would be something I'd consider, but I'd like to know if I'd be paid enough to more than just survive. Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Jim
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do they pay you to teach in India? There is a conspicuous lack of salary quotes in the job postings. I visited India years ago; returning as a teacher would be something I'd consider, but I'd like to know if I'd be paid enough to more than just survive. Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Jim

I work at a call center in India (most of the jobs you see posted are for call centers) and I make ca. $1000US/month, which I find to be a good salary here in India. I've found you can save anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of this and still live well.
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 US a month sounds fantastic in India.

Unless India has got substantially more expensive since I last went (admittedly 10 years ago) its much cheaper than China and 1000 USD a month would be pretty good.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friend,

This is what I've been waiting for on India!

Thks!
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp, do you work crazy schedules? swing shifts and all nighters? it seems that a lot of places are looking for that...
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelingirl,

Yes, late nights are required because the company is working with North American customers and the time difference is ca. 11-13 hours.
I'm not sure what you mean by swing shifts, however...
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jp - in one of the ads I saw it said something about swing shifts - as in your schedule never stays the same, you change from nights to days, your days off are not together, and/or they change from week to week...

How bad is the heat/humidity factor? How long did it take before your body adjusted to that?
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelingirl,

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, the shifts have been pretty changeable, something akin to 3 months on nights/3 months on days so on and so forth. The time changes do take some getting used to.

I'm in Bangalore, so the weather is meant to be more bearable than some of the other cities, such as Chennai or Mumbai. It hasn't been a big issue for me personally, though it is getting pretty toasty.
malcoml

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the women does an attractive western guy get his fair share.
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: sorry charlie! Reply with quote

Hi malcolml...

I have now been living in Bangalore for the past 6-7 months, and must let the guys know that it is definitely harder (not entirely impossible) for men to connect with local women. The culture is just not too accepting of that. There is something of an expat community here, with a wide range of cultures to look into...
danielita

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Bangalore Call Centre Job? Reply with quote

[quote="jpvanderwerf2001"]
Quote:

I work at a call center in India (most of the jobs you see posted are for call centers) and I make ca. $1000US/month, which I find to be a good salary here in India. I've found you can save anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of this and still live well.

I am interviewing for a job at a call centre in Bangalore, can you share some of your experience with the job and life in Bangalore?

Thanks...
D
pattyrose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Swing shifts and other opinions about call center training Reply with quote

Swing shifts are afternoon shifts, from 3:00 - midnight, for instance.

Generally, working for India Operations at any call center requires the English trainer to be tolerant of inconsistent communications and patient about delays of all sorts.

Life in India is a lot of fun. You can save money but the caveat is that the temptation to spend a lot is there, too, as on health and beauty spa treatments, exotic clothing and perfume oils, visiting beach resorts, nice restaurants and lounges, nightlife, not to mention all sorts of wonderful folk art shopping.

People are incredibly friendly, and it's easy to find a circle of friends among locals. If I found an organized company to work for, I'd go back. It's impossible to take in all there is to see and do in India in only a year or less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: