Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF or National Plus???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainstarqt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: EF or National Plus??? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I imagine I have already figured the answer out for myself, but I would like to know what other English teachers (who have taught in Indo.) think.

I have a job in Jakarta at a National Plus school. One year, making approx. $1500, taxes paid, flight reimburs., accomo., I get to teach the age I want, no medical though, visa and work papers covered, 5 days paid vacation, time off in December (apparently a month?), and a few contacts from the Director have made Jakarta seem not so bad.

Then there is EF in Bandung. Not only have the e-mails back and forth to this school been extremely slow (granted an explanation was given), air fare is paid, but not accom, paid vaction, insurance, free internet access, and I have contacts there who seem to enjoy there time in Bandung.

Now everyone has heard a piece or two about how dirty, smelly, crime-ridden, Jakarta is, but then the contacts I have spoke with from there say it's okay.

I'm not expecting this to be all 'sunshine and lollypops'. But I do hope to enjoy myself here and there; in Jakarta or Bandung.

I do want to surf, scuba, and/or snorkle while I am there and that would help in the deciding factor too. Also, should I be concerned that no medical is included for National Plus? I understand I will be getting it one way or another...

I guess it's the thought of this being my first time and all...

Does anyone have any opinions?
jsbst18

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Bandung or Jakarta Reply with quote

Hmm... Go with the National Plus school, but you cant surf or scuba in Jakarta OR Bandung.

Bandung is my favorite city on Java (but it is also my fiancee's hometown). It is REALLY small compared to Jakarta, but it seems to be a popular place to get cheap textiles. It is about 8 hours by train from Jakarta. The train is cheap and REALLY NICE (1st class has plane style food service, movies and clean toilets) Jakarta is everything you have heard and more. If you dont have a private car in Jakarta, you will be screwed (even if you DO, the traffic is horrible). Not so in Bandung. I took the buses and mini buses all the time with no problems. Buses in Jakarta are dangerous and my fiancee wont even ride them.

Bandung is cheap... Jakarta is expensive. 1500 USD is decent (actually pretty good), but you will find yourself in limbo between living like a local, who you will be much better off than and a foreign business expat, who you will be much poorer than.

Indonesians in Bandung are MUCH friendlier than Jakarta Indonesians, but if you live in Bandung you MUST learn Bahasa Indonesian.

You you have any questions, I will ask my fiancee. PM me.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1500 US per month is a very good salary, and will go a long way.
Jakarta is a big city and there's always a lot to do. I don't think you are 'screwed' without a car; taxis aren't that expensive and of course there are lots of buses.

I teach at a school about an hour outside Jakarta. The only real problem I would have with teaching in Jakarta is the air quality; the smog is terrible. I've read that living in Jakarta is equivalent to smoking 10 cigarettes a day; I don't know if that's true but it's sure not hard to believe.
guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Bahasa Indonesia in Bandung!!!!!! how about Bahasa Sunda!!!!!!

Abdi hoyong ka Bandung!!!!!
Winmar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guru wrote:
Laughing Bahasa Indonesia in Bandung!!!!!! how about Bahasa Sunda!!!!!!

Abdi hoyong ka Bandung!!!!!

Abdi oge hoyong ka Bandung, tapi tebih pisan tidieu mah! Smile

Sounds like the money is much better at National Plus. Wouldn't want to live in Jakarta myself, but it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I worked at EF in Bandung for 14 months, and very much enjoyed it. If you want to ask me anything about it, PM me. I won't be able to reply until next week though, as I'm going interstate....
willy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick with the $ you will be happer. i had a frend that worked for a + school, he quit but give it a try. better then EF well pay that is as for EF you never know better talk to someone working ther
everybody_loves_chandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: National Plus or EF Reply with quote

willy wrote:
stick with the $ you will be happer. i had a frend that worked for a + school, he quit but give it a try. better then EF well pay that is as for EF you never know better talk to someone working ther

I agree. Stick with the National Plus school. I work pretty much at a national plus school and the money and conditions are better than EF Palembang. You can get a job anytime with EF so go with the national plus. Also, once your've done a year or two at a national plus, I imagine getting a job at another national plus or international school will be that much easier. Working in a high school is so much easier than a language institute. Sure you have bigger classroom numbers but the students love their bule teacher. U have more challenges at working in national plus school but your feel more like a teacher than working in a langauge school Smile no insult intended for those who are working in a language institute.

DoC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: