Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Places for leisure and entertainment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meorbust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Places for leisure and entertainment Reply with quote

I have been here in Kuwait for a few months. My wife is getting very bored. Can anyone tell me of some places to go for entertainment? Movies, clubs, museums, etc, etc. ANYTHING. I am in the Fahaheel area, but will travel ANYWHERE in Kuwait to get out of the daily boring routine on weekends or weekday evenings. Thanks for your response.
Capricorny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: A.W.A.R.E. Reply with quote

Try getting on the AWARE Center's email list. It is located off Fifth Ring Road on the way to the open air souks. AWARE sponsors family-type outtings regularly--boat rides, museum tours, lectures, etc.

http://www.aware.com.kw/html/default.asp
laveena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Check the Arab Times - the What's On section. You will find various clubs, events, lectures etc listed in there. One club that comes to mind is for British women (expectant mothers, mothers with toddles etc). They gather together every Sunday or so.

There is another club where women belonging to the Common Wealth countries can become members.

There is a cinema hall at the Marina mall, if you wish to travel to Salmiya. There should be a cinema hall at the Al Kout mall as well - that is closer to your residence, i guess.

[email protected] - mail this id for information on various worshops they conduct on tatting, crochet, quilting etc.

Will post moe information if i come across it.
q8teacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Fahaheel area, I've heard there's a cinema in the new Kout mall which is by the fish market and Sultan Center. There's Kuwait Magic which is an amusement park and shopping mall for families that's fun to break the monotany. They're both on Gulf road on your left if coming from Fintas and Mahboula or on your right if coming from Fahaheel. Many people belong to private clubs so they can swim and workout. Hilton gets good reviews although I'm not sure how members feel about getting past the bomb squad and military presence at the entrance. Towards Salwa a cheaper alternative is the Messila Beach Club. The best thing I could suggest for your wife is try to some women's groups to meet with. For instance, when I first moved here, someone heard me say I spoke Spanish and invited me to an OLEK meeting. Those meetings are so interesting and you meet so many different kinds of people I loved it. Many of my friends enjoy the textiles association where you learn about different weaving/needlework/quiltmaking activities and make close friends that way. Help her look in the Kuwait Pocket Guide and Arab Times for clubs- and she may stumble on an exciting new experience.
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hilton is a great suggestion, beach, health club, swimming pool, etc. What are you interested in? Almost every kind of sport is available in Kuwait. Check out the pocket guide. I live here with my family and the problem is not finding something to do, it's finding the time to do it.
Are you interested in any of the following: - Bowling, Ice Skating, Rugby, Cricket, Football, Shooting, Riding, Cycling, Darts, Bridge, Scrabble, Chess, Pool/Billards, Theatre, Movies, Ballroom Dancing, The H.A.S.H, Tennis, Badminton, Toast Masters, Sun Downers, and many more.
There are numerous fun parks and play areas for the kids, and of course the eating out experience.
There are Church groups, Ladies groups, exhibitions, Business men's forum, a Writers group, and many more.
Night life more for the single man. It's all out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: