Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

puerto rico?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: puerto rico? Reply with quote

anybody know the scene in pr.? seems like a promising island spot for an american. but i dont know the fluency rate or the education system. lemme know any experiences there guys. thanx
JosephP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I too would like to know what the ESOL scene is in Puerto Rico. Does it even exist? It would seem that, although Spanish is the main language on the island, and Puerto Rico being a commonwealth of the USA, English would obviously play a major part in education. I reckon it might just be a case of going there and finding out firsthand.
ClaudeRains

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Hot posts! Hot posts! Reply with quote

Hey...still waiting for an answer? Don't lose hope. This board goes by the geological clock. I check it every year.
kcpr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Teaching and Studying in PR Reply with quote

Teaching English in PR is pretty big. For the most part one needs to have a BA in English Education, with that they can get a decent job in the public school system or in a Language school in San Juan. Because there are a lot of Americans it is recommended to have at least a BA.

There are currently a number of MA programs on the island. The best is at the University of Puerto Rico - Mayaguez. They offer a competitive program where many student go on to do a Ph.D. in a number of different areas related to ESL and English Language instruction.

Puerto Rico is a great place to be. The weather is awesome, rent is cheap, and the beer is cold. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Kevin
Redfivestandingby

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because there are a lot of Americans it is recommended to have at least a BA.

Uhhh...like...everyone who's born there is an American. Did you mean "mainland Americans"?

I'm from PR. It is great but I'm thinking that to teach ESL you'd have to go to the 'remote' parts of the island. There are too many PRicans who speak English well(or well enough) in the metropolitan area.

And yes, beer is cold AND girls are pretty.
kcpr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Very True Reply with quote

You are absolutely right, all of Puerto Ricans are indeed Americans. However, many refer to WHITE non-Puerto Ricans as Americans, Gringos or Mainlanders. Your point is well taken.

And to teach ESL you don't have to go to the remote parts of the island. Puerto Rico is a cross between an EFL and an ESL environment. According to the 2000 census only around 30% of Puerto Ricans consider themselves bilingual. Though many people that I know down here may be able to speak English they are not qualified to teach it. Merely growing up in New York or another part of the states doesn't qualify you to teach English in PR. You actually have to know what you are doing and have studied it to get a job in Puerto Rico.
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are too many PRicans who speak English well (or well enough) in the metropolitan area.

Why does it matter if there are enough Puerto Ricans that can speak English well enough to teach it? Puerto Rico belongs to the U.S. so I think that anyone from the Mainland would have the same legal standing to work in PR as a Puerto Rican. There may be some schools that prefer to hire Puerto Ricans but this is not really a situation of replacing nationals with non-nationals(so I doubt that it really matters if you are a Puerto Rican or not). Puerto Ricans that want to work on the Mainland also don't have to prove that they can do a job that no Mainlander can do in order to work.
chica11

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Puerto Rico Espa�ol e Ingles Reply with quote

I spent about 4 months in Puerto Rico, San Juan recinto de Rio Piedras to be exact years ago!! I met a few people who spoke English fluently but the majority of people felt comfortable only speaking to me in Spanish. They said they took English in school but didn't feel they really spoke it and were definitely not bilingual. Of course I AM NOT saying that there aren't bilingual people in PR, there are, many. But I am sure there are good jobs teaching ESL even with the common wealth status. In PR, Se habla Espa�ol. Oh yes and I just remembered there are also lots of people from other countries in Latin America living in PR who didn't grow up learning English. Case in point there is a Colombian population there. By the way if I were you I would contact a language school in Puerto Rico and ask them what kind of qualifications they are looking for. Or were you trying to teach at a primary or high school?
BreccaBee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: part time esl jobs in Puerto Rico for 2007 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am also thinking about teaching ESL part time in Puerto Rico in early 2007. I don't particularily want to live in San Juan as I have heard it is very expensive and that pay in Puerto Rico is not that great. Also, I understand there is some resistance to learning English by the native Puerto Ricons, something about keeping as much automany as a Latino environment as Puerto Rico is neither a state or country as most people know. Does anyone know if there are opportunities for teaching ESL part time?

BreccaBee
Cdaniels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Re-learning English Reply with quote

I would think most Puerto Ricans who have the time and money to improve their English would take classes in New York or NJ, and practice in an English-speaking environment. It might be nice to go to a university and get an Education or Ma-TESOL degree in PR. Does anyone have experience with Degree programs in Puerto Rico?

Last edited by Cdaniels on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
james_tesol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are only American ESL teachers accepted for the ESL jobs, or can British teachers get jobs in Puerto Rico too?
Jeepchick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just easier to hire American ESL teachers because Puerto Rico is part of the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: