Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scoping the scene
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyscott84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be heading back to Australia soon, so I'll be sure to come back and post any difficulties/good parts for people. I'm hoping it will be as simple as meeting the DOS and asking for a job, them saying 'Sure.'

That's what we all hope for, have to wait and see.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! And let us know how you go!

Wave to Australia for me,
Lozwich.
Chonbuk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

The other big problem is that NEAS award system doesn't recognize your non-British council type schools.

So, I have 10 years teaching experience. 8 years outside of OZ and 2 years in Aust. So, yes I do get hired because of this experience but I don't get paid for it. So, my salary goes from 40/hour to 27 per hour, because I only get paid for my experience in OZ.

A real pain in the butt.

Also the contracts tend to be short 5 to 10 weeks- easy to come by, but no job security.

I think Super Mario has the best idea, cause there is a shortage of ESL teachers in the public and Catholic sectors, I only wish that they would accept M ed.s in lieu of B. ed's but they won't in NSW.

Good luck.

Chonbuk
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chonbuk wrote:
The other big problem is that NEAS award system doesn't recognize your non-British council type schools.

So, I have 10 years teaching experience. 8 years outside of OZ and 2 years in Aust. So, yes I do get hired because of this experience but I don't get paid for it. So, my salary goes from 40/hour to 27 per hour, because I only get paid for my experience in OZ.

Shocked What do you mean by non-British Council type schools? I worked in Oz and had no problem getting my overseas work counted when it came to working out how much I should be paid. Something sounds a little fishy there...
Chonbuk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry for the delay,

That took a while to find the proof that you asked for:

Yes, it does feel like I'm getting ripped off but it's all a part of the industrial relations

http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/awards/pathways/results.jsp?award_code=802&show=Content&content_id=1579321

This is for NSW... other states might be different, but the key point is that they only recognize certain school in terms of renummeration, but they will hire you because of that very same experience just not pay you for it...

Sounds like things are better for you, hope that is the case in Canada also

Chonbuk
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also the contracts tend to be short 5 to 10 weeks- easy to come by, but no job security.

Have any Brits, Americans or Canadians taught ESL on a working holiday visa. I would like to apply for a working holiday visa next year after I am done with my current contract. I would prefer to teach ESL than work on a farm or in a bar. I have taught German for two years in the U.S. and am currently working at a Korean university.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that Australia's WHV lets you work for a year - but that no one employer can hire you for more than 3 months at a time. Is that true?
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ls,

Yes, it is true. Check out this site for more information. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/whm/obligation.htm

Cheers,
Lozwich.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: