Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Kuwaiti students the worst?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Are Kuwaiti students the worst? Reply with quote

To anyone currently teaching in Kuwait!

I have been teaching about one year in a University ESL program in the US. I've taught a large variety of foreign students including students from all the major middle eastern countries. Without a doubt, Kuwaitis are by far the worst in their behavior. The Saudis are good as are the Emiratis and the Omanis are wonderful! But, the Kuwaitis ruin my day! In our office, the first thing we do when we get our schedules is check to see if any Kuwaitis are on the list. That's how bad it is.

So, my question is this . . . have I just had a run of bad luck or are Kuwaitis uniformly this out of control? Let me know your feelings about this from the perspective of being in country.

Thanks a lot!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have read around the board you will see that I have little good to say about Kuwait. And dealing with the Kuwaitis in the government bureaucracy is a nightmare.

BUT... I have to admit that the students that I had at Kuwait University were great to work with. I understand that some departments draw better students than others, but mine were hard-working, polite, and fun - both the males and the females.

As to students from the Gulf in the US, most complaints seem to stem from Kuwaitis and Saudis. But, you say that your Saudis are no problem. So, I guess it comes down to individuals...

I think a lot of it comes down to spoiled rich kids who are away from parental and societal controls. That doesn't always bring out the best in an individual.

VS
ron7086

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: best and worst Reply with quote

Just finished in Kuwait and had previous experience in Saudi. Echoing a previous poster, it seems to depend on individuals and/or their backgrounds.

In both Saudi Arabia and Kuwait I had military students. As an ex-military type myself, I was very unhappy with the military types from both countries.
Their constantly displayed arrogance and determination to defend their ignorance as a superior lifestyle was "distracting".

In Kuwait, I also had a chance to teach adult professional workers up to first line supervisor level. It was a very mixed group. The common denominator that I found for the better students was that they had (almost) all traveled outside the Middle East (not just Kuwait).

It may not be a comfort to the OP that the students trained in the ESL programs outside Kuwait are going to be the "best and the brightest" when they return.
alyshia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: no Reply with quote

I just have to put my two cents in and say that I disagree was far as the YOUNG Kuwaiti kids go.

My Kuwaiti students (100% of my class is Kuwaiti) are darlings. They are polite and get along well and overall I have enjoyed teaching them very much.

Yes, they have their 'lazy' issues (and "arrogance" in the older grades/ages) but every culture has issues, right?

I disagree that "teaching Kuwaitis is the worst" -- maybe "teaching Kuwaiti adults is the worst" but not the young ones.

alyshia Very Happy
ron7086

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Alysha: A nice point. While I do not have your experience with younger Kuwaiti (s), I certainly can agree that there would be a difference.

I found the same kind of difference in Cambodia (the younger set accepts change more and thus accepts and assimilates instruction more readily).

And in Thailand.

And...

Maybe we have discovered something here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: