Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax Freedom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chairman Roberto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Tax Freedom Reply with quote

20%??? Ugh! Jeezum Crow, that's gotta hurt! I'm referring to that exorborant tax rate everyone has to pay.

Like alot of other folks, I'm currently on the Mainland, and let's just say working for peanuts just isn't cuttin' it for me anymore. So, I'm ready to head off to this...this renegade province (shudder) to earn some real money. May Mao forgive my capitalist roader betrayal of the wonderful Dictatorship of the Protleteriat.

My query is tax related. So let me get this straight: You get taxed the first 183 days of the year at 20%, and then it'll drop to 10% or thereabouts. You'll get most of of your tax money back, PROVIDED you were in country more than 183 days. So that means one should be in Taiwan on or before July 1st. (for tax purposes, your date of entry is what counts, not the day you start working). Otherwise, you lose that 20%. Is that right?

So my newbie question is this: It seems I should be in the country before July 1st. Not a problem. But how feasible is it to find employment, legal or otherwise, on say the months of May or June? Should I arrive in Taiwan earlier, say April or March? My goal is to avoid this 20% tax slaughterhouse. No way do I want to hand over 20% to Guomindang (are they still in power?).

Appreciate any clarifications,
Roberto!
killian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seem to have a pretty good grasp of things. right after chinese new year seems to be a fertile hunting ground for jobs.

i used to work in china before taiwan. i really miss the earnestness and diligence of the students there. however, i sure don't miss the mainland fiscal renumeration. after china, taiwan is a stroll.
wix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tax Freedom Reply with quote

Roberto Azula wrote:
So let me get this straight: You get taxed the first 183 days of the year at 20%, and then it'll drop to 10% or thereabouts. You'll get most of of your tax money back, PROVIDED you were in country more than 183 days. So that means one should be in Taiwan on or before July 1st. (for tax purposes, your date of entry is what counts, not the day you start working). Otherwise, you lose that 20%. Is that right?

Not exactly. You need to be in Taiwan for a total of 183 days in a year to be eligible for a tax refund. Obviously if you arrive after July 1st this is impossible, but if you arrived in January and left in June you would also be ineligible for a tax refund. The tax office calculates the number of days you have been in the country from the entry and exit stamps in your passport.

A good reference for information about taxes is: http://tealit.com/taxes.htm

Roberto Azula wrote:
No way do I want to hand over 20% to Guomindang (are they still in power?).

The KMT lost power in 2000!!!! Although they might get it back again next year.
taiwanho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the tax office look at your passport and the number of days you are in Taiwan, regardless of your state of employment. As long as you are physically in the country for 183 days that's all that counts.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tax Freedom Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that how much money you get back from your tax return depends on how much money was deducted and how much money you made that year. Not just the amount of days you were on the island.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... what is the absolute latest you can arrive in Taiwan and get the tax refund? June 30th? July 1st?
EOD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tealit.com/taxes.htm
Regardless of what you may say about the forum, Tealit has some good info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: