Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambridge CELTA/ Trinity TESOL - What's it worth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asiabound

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Cambridge CELTA/ Trinity TESOL - What's it worth? Reply with quote

I have a Masters in English from a Canadian University and am planning on heading to Japan later this year and was just wondering whether a Cambridge CELTA or Trinity TESOL certification will help me out. The courses involve practice teaching, which is obviously a benefit, but is the certification itself a consideration for Japanese employers?
PAULH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asiabound

IMHO a CELTA will not have much of an impact on your salary ie if you ask for a higher salary becuase of a TEFL qualification. It is helpful when applying for better paying jobs at a high school etc.

Most universities for example demand a Masters for part time positions and not necessarily a TEFL qualification. It certainly doesnt hurt for the practical value of preparing you for teaching a class etc. Dont rely on it just for the money, as employers dont really put a lot of stock in them except when choosing among sevarl candidates. Those with TEFL and a Masters will be higher in the employers estimation.

A lot depends on the kinds of jobs you are seeking, all other things being equal.

I work at a university and most teachers here dont have TEFL diplomas etc, but they have Masters and teaching experience and no less importantly, CONTACTS. Often who you know gets you the job, not what pieces of paper you have, IMO.
David W

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is right. If I was you, I would do it as it will certainly do you no harm and will give you a lot of confidence. If you are interested I can recommend a good course to do. PM me if you are interested.
Asiabound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me naive....but how many Westerners with English degrees are going to 'know someone' at a Japanese university?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: