Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAF Papers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
francofile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: CAF Papers Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the ins-and-outs of getting CAF papers when renting an apartment in France. I applied for an assistantship as an english teacher and will (apparently) be elligible to receive CAF (depending on how much trust you put into a wik i:>):

(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Assistant_in_France:Arrival#Furniture_and_your_welfare)

I know that there is a CAF website, but i am struggling with understanding it all and i am curious as to how it has played out in real life situations for foreigners.

Specifically,

1. what is involved in the application?
2. is it much more beneficial to be the sole occupant of the apartment? (versus if you are just renting a room, but if you are renting a room, is it still possible)?
3. who has to sign the form?
4. how long does it take to receive CAF (timing of renting apt, applying, etc)
5. Are some landlords reluctant to give out CAF papers? what can you do to increase the likelihood?
6. How much can you expect to receive?
7. Are there specific areas of France or within cities where it is unlikely to receive CAF? (I applied for a position in Paris, and while eternally hopeful (kidding), i am not under the impression that the French government is going to subsidize my loft in the Marais, just trying to make a realistic budget and see if i can go, because i know its going to cost me to go to Paris, but i really really want to go).

Thank you very much in advance for reading this post. I really hope that someone out there can help me, I would really appreciate it- and show my gratitude by letting you stay in my loft (i am so KIDDING)!
francofile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: replying to myself Reply with quote

i just wanted to add, that i too find it annoying when people ask questions to which the answers can be found elsewhere. so i just wanted any potential posters to know that i am searching for the answers on the CAF site, but if anyone has any personal experience with this, i would love to hear your story. lay it down, brother/sister.
starfall18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: not an answer Reply with quote

have you found out yet about if you've been offered a position?

i also applied, and just noticed they FINALLY cashed through my check with the application but i don't know if that actually means anything...

good luck though with finding out anything. i would imagine that there's not a lot you can do until you find out your assignment... maybe contact some of the people who've previously done the program, there's a page on wiki with their info...
francofile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i havent found out anything yet, just being presumptious Embarassed ha ha. apparently, may one is the date. which academie did you apply to?

i applied from canada, and did not pay any registration fees. there wasnt one, as far as i know.

i actually came across this great site, and if you havent been there yet, its fantastic:

http://www.assistantsinfrance.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=74
3plus1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. what is involved in the application?
How much you earned last year.

2. is it much more beneficial to be the sole occupant of the apartment? (versus if you are just renting a room, but if you are renting a room, is it still possible)?
Your accommodation has to be of a reasonable size and the amount you pay for it is the important part.

3. who has to sign the form?
You and your landlord.

4. how long does it take to receive CAF (timing of renting apt, applying, etc)
Varies on where in France you are. If you're lucky, a month ish. If you're unlucky... six.

5. Are some landlords reluctant to give out CAF papers? what can you do to increase the likelihood?
You pick up the CAF forms from your nearest CAF office. You have to be an official renter though - if your landlord hasn't declared s/he is renting, you are not eligible for APL.

6. How much can you expect to receive?
It depends how much you're earning etc, but there's a calculator on the website at www.caf.fr which will give you a rough idea.

7. Are there specific areas of France or within cities where it is unlikely to receive CAF? (I applied for a position in Paris, and while eternally hopeful (kidding), i am not under the impression that the French government is going to subsidize my loft in the Marais, just trying to make a realistic budget and see if i can go, because i know its going to cost me to go to Paris, but i really really want to go).
Er, no. But you're more likely to end up in the banlieu than in Paris itself, if you applied for that region.

Assuming you weren't a billionnaire last year, you can fill in a form properly and you're an official tenant, you will receive APL if your rent is more than 25% of your take home pay.

I'm currently finishing up my assistantship in France. I only pay around 60 euro each month after APL because the assistant wage is so low. Any questions, give me a yell.

PS You may be told that you do not qualify for CAF/APL by 'helpful' staff who don't work for CAF. Ignore them. If no one gives you any forms, go to your local CAF office, get them yourself and fill them it. Of course it's worth applying - what do you have to lose?

You're not supposed to receive any benefits for your first month in France - you're supposed to pay for that yourself. (Although some people get the first month anyway). You will receive them from your second month onwards though and you do get backpay if CAF are late processing your forms.

PPS Just realised you're non EU. You need to get all your non EU forms and rubbish sorted before you qualify for housing benefits, so it will take a while to come through for you. I've met some American assistants in my acad�mie and they've all had nightmares with that (not all are officially allowed to be in the country, despite jumping through all the hoops they've been told to!) but you might have more luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: