Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London- Pay/Contracts, etc..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szeliczka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: London- Pay/Contracts, etc..? Reply with quote

I'm currently working in Poland and am thinking of coming (back) to London soon..

What are the teaching contracts like in private language schools in London?

In other words, is it only possible to look for jobs at the start of terms (Sept and Jan) or can I find work anytime of the year?

What are the average numbers of hours given per week? Do you get paid hourly? Most importantly... what is the average wage???

Are private language schools the best ESL option for teaching in London or are colleges, etc.. better?

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!
Londonlover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a city like London, it's possible to find teaching work at private language schools throughout most of the year. (The only exceptions would be Dec/Jan perhaps)

Pay depends on which school you work for. Those at the lower end of the market (which may not be that reputable and not require highly qualified/experienced staff to teach) may offer as little at 7 pounds an hour.
The average rate in private language schools is around 10 pounds an hour.
The better schools with good reputations may offer around 12/13 pounds an hour for teaching staff, but they are in a minority.

Working hours can vary and perhaps go up and down depending on how busy the school is at any particular point in time.
Part-time contracts are often for 15 hours and full-time 30 hours. Personally, I think 30 hours is excessive and would not want to teach that number of hours, but plenty of teachers do it and seem to find strategies and techniques to do it without getting totally stressed out. The widespead practice of 30 contact hours is undoubtedly due to the exhorbitant cost of living in our beloved capital. (e.g I pay 550 pounds a month in rent alone.)

With regard to further education colleges, you would probably need either previous experience in this sector, higher qualifications or the relevant teaching qualifications.

University EFL departments advertise for temporary EAP summer staff and pay around 35 pounds an hour in London. However, these jobs will tend to be offered to teachers who have MAs, DELTAs or a lot of other solid teaching experience at an appropriate level.

Hope this helps Smile
Szeliczka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: How do ESL teachers get by in London? Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I don't see how it's possible to do little more than just survive on that salary. I lived in London from Sept 2000-March 2005 so I know how expensive it is.

How do ESL teachers get by???
Londonlover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that most TEFLers in private language schools in London make enough to get by each month, by doing 30 (+) contact hours per week and if they aren't living in their families' homes, rent cheaper, shared accommodation.

I don't think that anyone in the world of London TEFL teaching claims that you can save a great deal (unless you work full time in a university or F.E. college)
It usually does seem to be a case of getting by. I get by, by doing temporary University EAP contracts between spells of language school work.

On this forum there always seems to be little or no response from anyone who actually teaches in private language schools in London?
Anyone out there? How about your views?
amj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szeliczka:
Have you been here:

http://forum.gazeta.pl/forum/71,1.html?f=33917

You might find some info on teaching EFL in the UK plus get in touch with some Polish teachers working in England.
Szeliczka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amj wrote:
Szeliczka:
Have you been here:

http://forum.gazeta.pl/forum/71,1.html?f=33917

You might find some info on teaching EFL in the UK plus get in touch with some Polish teachers working in England.

THANKS FOR THE INFO, BUT I'M ACTUALLY AMERICAN, NOT POLISH Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: