Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They "Typical" Gulf EFLer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: They "Typical" Gulf EFLer Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a teacher too, but I work in a hospital so I'm rather cut off from the EFL "community" here in KSA. So, I'm wondering what the profile of the 'typical' teacher is here. In my mind - I could be wrong - EFLers in the gulf differ from EFLers elsewhere for many reasons.

For example:

EFLers generally are in their early to mid 20s.
In the Gulf, they are 20 or even 30 years older than this.

EFLers are a mix of both genders, with females perhaps predominating.
In the Gulf, most teachers are male.

EFLers tend to be single. In the Gulf, they are often married.

EFLers generally work despite - not because of - the terrible salaries.
In the Gulf, precisely the opposite is true - money is the prime motivation.

EFLers are often motivated by an interest in the local culture and make some effort to make some local friends.
In the Gulf, EFLers don't take much of an interest in the culture, which is closed to them anyway.

For most EFLers, TEFL is not a long-term career plan. For Gulfies, it is.

Any opinions?
Please feel free to criticise/comment on my gross generalizations and add any as you see fit!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: EFLing in the Gulf and Other Parts of Planet Terra Reply with quote

Certainly doing EFL in the M.E. is different. In fact I think it varies so much from country to country that it is not really the same activity. Teaching English in Riyadh is so different from teaching English in Athens that I would say that they are two totally different activities.

The people doing these things are different too. In Saudi people are much more focussed on that monthly paycheque. A healthy attitude if you ask me !!!!!!

I know that I am a teacher and I want to be paid a decent wack for my labour. If I were a missionary it might be different !

And those who approach the EFL world with a missionary attitude have got it wrong !!!!!!!
hmbaba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Depends how you define the Gulf - Saudi is different, but Qatar, Bahrain, Oman and UAE are places where people actually enjoy the lifestyle.
You can't stereotype like that here in the Gulf. There are all sorts of people of different race, religion, colour, gender-orientation, age and marital status.
Packages here are for families which explains some of this.
Tertiary posts often require MAs - so another reason for an older population.
Contact with local culture depends on where you work - some places discourage integration with students, others don't.
Regards,
Heather
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EFL teachers in the Gulf are the EFL teachers you see elsewhere but twenty years later.

If you are in your early twenties doing EFL, this is how you will end up. Enjoy while you can.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo

Your analysis is mostly correct, but with your experience limited to the one strange anomaly of KSA, it is colored by the negatives and extremes of the place.

HMBaba is correct. The rest of the Gulf is so different and sooo much better. You will find as many women as men teachers - some colleges the women are in the majority, with lots of them single.

As the the breakdown between the sexes Cleo, from what I see on this board, most of the EFLers in the rest of the world seem to be men too. From the subjects of many of the posts, in it for social 'a-hem' reasons as much as seeing the world.

In the Gulf, the educational system is so different from the market in places like the Far East that it drives many of the differences. Most Gulf teachers are in tertiary institutions. That presumes an older, more educated base of teachers. Colleges and universities tend to require more education of their staff.

As Stephen suggested, many of the people that I worked with were ex-backpackers who stayed in the field, got MAs and families along the way, and had to go where the salaries would support that idea. I went into this field as a second career, started by getting an MA, and went to the part of the world that interested me.

Go work in the Emirates or Oman, Cleo. It will give you a much better life and a taste of the variety available in the Gulf. Smile

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VS,

Thanks for your kind advice. Yes, indeed, I do hope to go to the UAE once I've got my Masters. That's the reason I'm giving up my job here in KSA, with a certain amount of trepidation, I must add. At times I think I'm mad to give up a well-paying, comfortable job for the gamble of going back to full-time education, with no guarantee I'll have a job at the end of it.
But then the thought comes to me of yet another empty Riyadh weekend, and I think that maybe I'm making the right decision after all!
grand fromage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo, I think you don't have to worry about getting hired in te UAE when you get your Master's. The fact that you already have ME experience will also help you get past the competition. In general, unless you have a dark past that you can't hide, with a Master's degree you should find a good position here. Good luck;)
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Big Cheese, now that you mention it I DO have a shady past!

Don't tell anyone, but I did once work for Berlitz. That was only for a few months, though ...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasp!! don't worry Cleo, your secret is safe with us.

It is always a bit scary changing jobs and countries. That is what makes this board so valuable. People's opinions may vary on particular establishments, but at least you can start out with some knowledge of what you are getting into. Smile

I can safely say that your weekends will improve immensely once you are anywhere in the gulf other than KSA. Just the freedom to go out and walk or shop or drive, not to mention get a beer --- (or complete your research on the typical Gulf expat)

VS
grand fromage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't Cleo!!! Wink Don't worry as I have worked for far worse places with even worse reputations. These places shall remain nameless, but needless to say I am currently working in the UAE so they had lttle effect on my employability;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: