Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

inlingua int'l language school in Dubai - any info?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wailinwonder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: inlingua int'l language school in Dubai - any info? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody can provide any information on inlingua int'l language centers in Dubai? I'm a recent college grad and have about a year and a half ESL teaching experience to int'l grad students within a program at my university.

I'm considering going to UAE to learn some Arabic while teaching. Reading this forum has been really helpful. Maybe somebody has more specific info on this particular language school and what I could expect in terms of salary and work environment?

Thanks a lot! Smile

MJ
younggeorge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this one, but language schools in general here are pretty dreadful. They employ people part-time or on dependents' visas so they don't have to provide accommodation or pay air fares. If you've got another reason to be in Dubai and another means of support, it could be OK: otherwise, if you just want to support yourself while learning Arabic, then try Lebanon, Syria or North Africa. They're better places to learn Arabic anyway because in Dubai you'll hardly ever have a reason to use it - for shopping, taxis and everyday life, the people you're likely to talk to will almost all be non-Arab.
james van cleave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stay away from language schools in general, and ELS in particular. I would check out the AMIDEAST site for starters. They were advertising a position in Morocco recently.
The UAE is great for making moolah (or at least, it used to be) but you won't learn much there. You'd be much better off in Casablanca, Tangiers, or Alexandria.
The American University in Cairo sometimes hires grad students to teach English. They've also got an excellent Arabic program, from what I hear
luck4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Don't waste your time Reply with quote

Your better off getting a part-time job and getting experience. From what I've heard, the pay is horrible!
Gauguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: inlingua Reply with quote

I worked for �inlingua� for 5 years in France, Lille and they were a very professional group of people. Their in-house training, teaching methods, and materials all work well, albeit a little dry.

However, I recently had friends who attend TESOL Arabia and who had interviews with the Dubai 'inlingua' recruitment team. They were, I quote "shoddy", With no information about training, pay or clientele forecoming.

I expect it�ll take a little while for them to get going, bless.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Inlingua/Score Plus Scoop Reply with quote

I worked for Score-Plus in Dubai. Based on this ad, it appears they have bought the rights to Inlingua for Dubai and quite possibly the rest of the UAE. Please PM me for details. Lots to tell!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up or thumbs down Mr Stoth? You needn't tell us every detail, Cool but do share a bit for the many readers who don't have access because they haven't registered...

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Thumbs Down Reply with quote

My former employer actually reads the comments in threads like these. Too much work, never enough money, no respect for local labour laws.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty clear, I'd say. Hopefully if he reads it, he will attempt to improve the reputation of his place by correcting some of the problems.

But I fear that it sounds like the usual language school situation. More reason to get that MA so one doesn't have to work in any of them. Laughing

Thanks...

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Too True Reply with quote

He mocked these postings when I was still working for him. I cautioned him that people read these threads before accepting jobs. I wouldn't expect improvement-he thinks he's running a sound business. It's a shame-I believe he's purchased the ME franchise rights for now a 2nd ESL franchise, as well as a large American exam preparation franchise. That means a lot of bad academy jobs in the Gulf and beyond! "Shoddy", as described by a previous poster, sums it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: