Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Budapest - information for those interested
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdenn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Budapest - information for those interested Reply with quote

I have noticed there is a major lack of information when it comes to teaching in Hungary. I can't say anything about the country outside of Budapest, but I have been in the city for about five months, and I would like to share a few of the things I have learned. I know it was difficult for me when I was not able to find anything.

First of all, it seems quite easy to find work. Most schools are hungry for native speakers. I took the TEFL course through Via Lingua, and they will try to set you up with a few classes. It's a very good program and a very good school. I like them a lot.
However, some other schools will only hire people with the CELTA certificate. I have been turned down by a couple, but really, the general TEFL cert is good enough for almost all schools. If it is important to you to have the best qualifications, I would probably opt for the CELTA. I know the International House offers it, but I'm not sure how the programs compare in price.
Some other schools to check out are Globus, Katedra (though I have had a bad experience, and I'm told I'm not the only one), Lingua, and Babilon. There are a million schools here though, and it really should be a problem to find one. Most terms start in mid-Jan through early February, then again in March or June. Summer work is supposedly more sparse, but I have not had the chance to experience that first hand.
Finding a private student is pretty easy - word gets around.
My advice is to come on a program and get set up from there. If you have already done one, then I think it would be easy enough to come, find an apartment (check out Expressz or Alberlet.hu) and start door knocking. You can also find ads in the PestiEst, which is the weekly arts rag.
Average wages for a private school fall between 1600 and 2000/ft per classroom hour. You get a bit more for evening or business classes it seems. For private lessons, you can usually get anywhere from 2000 - 3000 depending on your experience.

I hope this helps those who are interested. I'll try to answer any additional questions anyone has. I'm obviously no expert, but I can share my own experences.
Coit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

A while back I was asking for more info. Thanks!

Please keep the info flowing (where to work in the summer is extremely valuable info).

Coit
Bethany123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

My friend and I are planning on going to Hungary late August/September. We're Canadians and hoping to stay there a year if it all works out. I already have a TESL certificate and have 6 months experience teaching in China. I know I would be able to find a job most likely in Budapest, and my friend has family an hour away where we'd stay the first while when we're job hunting. I'm looking into visas and it seems pretty sticky. I'm wondering if you can tell me what visa you went to Hungary with, or if you sorted it out when you got there after your 90 day entry period was over. Any help work be great! Thanks,

Bethany
jdenn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethany,
The visa situation is fairly easy to sort out (at least in theory), but it takes a while and there is a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy.
Basically, you start your own company. You are then issued a tax number and you receive your visa through your company. I think it costs about $300 (US) and can take a bit of time. I think in almost all circumstances, you're supposed to go back to your country of origin, though I know some people who were able to skirt that rule.

Sorry for the brief explanation. Maybe some more people are able to fill in the details. Honestly though, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
ssimmons

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also teach in Budapest, at some of the same schools as jdenn above. Let me say that those who have not had a good time in Budapest probably didn't get out and enjoy the city.

I have been living here since August, teaching since September, and I've found it quite enjoyable. The students have all been extremely nice and wanted to learn (except for the homework, that's always a problem). There was never any problem finding a job. If you want work, there's plenty of it here. Just be prepared to work at a few different language schools to fill in your hours.

As for the visa, I really wouldn't bother getting a residence one. I came over on a tourist, and as long as you do a visa run to some other country (Slovakia is only and hour and a half away by train) it's not a problem. Hungary is wellknown for it's massive bureaucratic system, so it's best to just sidestep it all together.

The pay is decent, but don't expect to make that much to bring back home. Especially with the forint currently taking a nosedive. But if you want to be able to live well enough in BP and travel around the region, it's definately enough.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to respond.
dvasas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic but still Budapest, is there a pub there that would be carrying the upcoming NHL hockey playoffs Question

Any info is appreciated.
jdenn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to find a pub that shows North American sports. Though the two sports channels (Sport 1 and 2) show NHL and NBA games fairly often. They also showed all of the NFL playoffs, so maybe they'll do the same for the NHL
Coit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Visa Reply with quote

Love this new free flow of info about Hungary.

Ok, Lets say I roll into Budapest with a CELTA and 5 years teaching mostly adults and 2 years with children (in Korea). But lets say I dont feel like going through all the red tape to get a work visa and residency. Will most schools still give me good pay and an apartment just on tourist visas? Or will I have to sort out my own flat.

What jdenn said about a propper work visa seems extreme ($300 U.S. and flying back home, no no no. Way too expensive.)
ssimmons

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, well, I've never heard of any school ever paying for an apartment in Hungary, or even Eastern Europe, so I'm afraid you're probably out of luck with that.

If you don't have a visa you still get a decent pay, just don't expect it to be more than other teachers. Even with a visa you still basically make the same as Hungarian teachers, well, maybe a few hundred forint more per class, but nothing shocking like in Asia.

The proper visa really is a pain to get. If you want it you're supposed to apply within your home country. But then to get it you need a work permit, which you can generally only get once you're there and have talked to some companies. Nice catch 22. What I've heard most people do is just run to Vienna or Bratislava and hope you catch the consulate on a good day when he is feeling generous and will grant it. Otherwise, back to the States for you.

But as has been said, it's not really important. It costs a lot in lawyer fees if you want to setup your own company and really won't make you money unless you're thinking long term.

Hope that helps.
jdenn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just wouldn't want to advocate any illegal activities while a guest in another country. Wink

but yeah, you won't find a school who will pay for your apartment. i think native speakers who work under the table actually earn a bit more, as they aren't paying taxes.

as for finding an apartment, check out www.alberlet.hu that's where i found mind. you can get a decent place for about 400 a month if you search enough. i share a flat with my girlfriend, so we have a fairly cheap situation. i think living alone can be pretty costly if you want to be in the city center.

but coit, i'd check out a university gig if you have celta and that much experience. i don't know anything requirements, but i think you'd be better off at least trying for that before settling for a private school. ssimmons and i are both new teachers, and these are our first gigs. you could probably do better than us.
mongrelcat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know anything about private school work availability there?
jdenn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this whole thread is about working in private schools
ssimmons

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As jdenn said, everything mentioned is about private language schools. They're everywhere and what you would most likely work at. The reason is that to work in the public sector you need a MA in addition to the BA and TEFL cert, which most people, I would assume, don't have.
Coit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jden and ssimons for the info.

You mentioned a difference in private schools and universities there. What is the going salary for each?
jdenn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither ssimons nor I have any university experience. I was only suggesting that you look into it since you have more experience. I have to imagine it pays well, but that is only a guess on my part. Anyway, it's just something for you to look into. I'm not even sure how one would go about that.

As for private schools, the going rate is anywhere between 1600-2500 per classroom hour. I'm sure some schools offer less, and if you're lucky, you may find one for more. I think 1800-2000 is about average, and I wouldn't work for less than that.
As far as private lessons go, I think 2000 per hour is about as low as you should go. With your experience, I would think at least 4500-5000 per lesson (usually 2 hours) would be about right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: