Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie in Germany
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith_Alan_W

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a few years in Germany. there is almost NO possibility of a salary job. You have to freelance yourself out and get a freelance visa. this requires 3 part-time contracts. Then you have to pay your own taxes. If a crap company like Inlingua offers you a full time contract, it'll be for 1500 Euro a month minuss at least 40 - 60 percent for health insurance and taxes! The cost of living is comparable with Japan, SO....

In the end, you'd be better off working at McDonalds.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give up on looking for work in Germany. Work where you will earn a real salary and spend your holidays in Deutschland.

Saudi is waiting for YOU !
StralsundAmi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Working in Germany without German knowledge Reply with quote

I wanted to add my two cents please. I came to Germany with having had only one month German classes and didn�t find it to be extremely difficult to find work teaching business English in Berlin. I took German classes at the Volkshochschule in the morning and taught in the afternoons and evenings. I had several students tell me that they were happy that I wasn�t proficient in German as they had had other teachers that seemed to want to practice German more than teach English. I also found it helpful to key in on non-teaching experience I had from previous jobs in the states and to sell myself to those markets. I had some limited banking experience and looked up the translations for general and specific terms that not everybody would know. I ended up staying quite busy teaching managment staff at several large banking firms in Berlin. Since then I have moved to Stralsund in the North of Germany where there aren�t quite as many teaching jobs. I work as a bartender and teach at the Volkshochschule teaching English and Spanish as well. I�ve been here now almost 3 years and have found my own little niche. Ps. I continued taking German at the Volkshochschule and recently took my German proficiency exams from the Goethe Institute. Yippe I got an "1".
Personally I wouldn�t let the lack of German deter anyone from teaching. I think the biggest dilemna is the over abundancy of qualified teachers.
Best of Luck
Ami in Stralsund
StralsundAmi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add my two cents please. I came to Germany with having had only one month long German class and didn�t find it to be extremely difficult to find work teaching Business English in Berlin. I took German classes at the Volkshochschule in the morning and taught in the afternoons and evenings. I had several students tell me that they were happy that I wasn�t proficient in German as they had had other teachers that seemed to want to practice German more than teach English. I also found it helpful to key in on non-teaching (business)experiences I had from previous jobs in the states and to sell myself to those markets. I had some limited banking experience and looked up the translations for general and specific terms that not everybody would know. I ended up staying quite busy teaching managment staff at several large banking firms in Berlin. I will say I have my TEFL certificate, a Master�s Degree in Education and a Bachelor�s in Bilingual Education (Spanish/English). I taught ESL previously but that was back in the late 1980s. Last year I moved to Stralsund in the North of Germany where there aren�t quite as many teaching jobs. I work as a bartender and teach a few hours a week at the Volkshochschule (English and Spanish) as well. I�ve been here now almost 3 years and have found my own little niche. Ps. I continued taking German at the Volkshochschule and recently took my German proficiency exams from the Goethe Institute. Yippe I got an "1". Being able to communicate certainly makes life easier however,personally I wouldn�t let the lack of German deter anyone from coming to Germany to teach. I think the biggest dilemna is the over abundancy of qualified teachers and the limited opportunities especially for real jobs with benefits.
Best of Luck
Ami in Stralsund
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: