Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andrew Lin....anybody heard of him?, or had good/bad deals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solomon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Andrew Lin....anybody heard of him?, or had good/bad deals Reply with quote

Hey guys, just received an offer by a guy called andrew lin about teaching in Taiwan....just want to know something about this individuals reputation or if he is a recruiter....cheers Twisted Evil
eslintaiwan2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I had seen this guys name from previous posts. Check this out, I hope it gives you some useful information. Smile

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=229

Good luck.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. To the person asking about Andrew Lin: Just in case you didn't click on the useful link provided by the first responder to your query, let me tell you the news is probably all bad. Are you a normal person with a bachelor's degree? If so, then THERE IS NO NEED TO USE A RECRUITER TO GET A JOB HERE. RECRUITERS ARE DISHONEST MAGGOTS IN TAIWAN. There. I Hope that's sufficiently clear. Very Happy Recruiters are, almost without exception, liars and cheats. They will lie about the job, the school and the salary -- anything -- to get their commissions. I was burned by a recruiter, a friend of mine was burned by a recruiter before me... Most people I've talked to who've used recruiters have been burned in one way or another.

Most major school companies have web sites where you can find out about the schools, their salaries and their locations. You can also fill out online applications or send resumes directly to them and arrange interviews for when you arrive here. A kindergarten company named HESS will even hire you overseas and process your resident visa ahead of your departure. If you don't like what you see online, just get on the plane with your 60 day visa and do your own search when you get here. Jobs are plentiful (though not all are good) in the big city and you will probably be employed within a week or two of getting here.

Look, I know you want some semblance of security and assurance before shelling out the thousands you'll need to get here and set up; but let me tell you if you go the recruiter route, you WILL regret it. If you want security, then apply to one of the big kindie or bushiban companies directly. That is the best you can do for yourself.

Please take this reply as it is intended: it is a sincere attempt to help you avoid making the mistakes that I, and others, have made before you. I have no other motives. I wish you good luck in your search.

PS. If anyone else has any stories about recruiters, I think this thread would be a good place to tell them.
EOD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Andrew Lin Inc. Reply with quote

Many years ago there was in fact a very reputable recruiter/ agent who went by that name. He was incredibly good at finding teachers work and finding schools just the right teacher. I didn't really know him, my mother was a close friend of his when she was teaching in Taiwan, in 1980.
He put a lot of pride in his work and would go out of his way to help anybody. My mother refers to him as her best friend in Taiwan and " good people". I remember him from the church where my mother used to drag me to, when I was a teenager.
You see this guy, was a one of a kind. People like that don't exist in Taiwan anymore. Mr. Lin disappeared into oblivion long ago and so did his way of thinking about service. The person who called you claiming to be Andrew lin, was using that name because it came with a good reputation, back before he and many other agents started using it. If you look in the want ads in the local newspapers you will see many ads telling you to call Andrew. That means the person you will be calling is an agent from central Taiwan, not the original, Andrew Lin.
These people are not Andrew Lin, the great guy and trusted guide. They are greedy and corrupt agents trying to stop their own name from being associated with the illegal and disreputable way they do business.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, is that really a true story.

Because this name sure comes up a lot here and on Tealit.

But it doesn't surprise me - here in Taiwan.
Felix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: I know Andrews work - BEWARE Reply with quote

I certainly know Andrew. When I was looking for a job here, he was trying to get me to accept something he had. First of all, when I responded to his emails, he'd respond back and not even know who he was replying to. He'd send me like three emails that didn't answer my question, and they were all about the same. This is, of course, beacuse he's sweet-talking so many teachers to take his crappy jobs that he can't even keep track of them. Wink He'd tell me anything I wanted to hear about a job, but always give me the run around if I wanted to nail something down. Kind of like; "just come here, and THEN I'll hook you up". Needless to say, I found my own job and stayed away from this creep.

...And the jobs. Well I met a young couple about three Months ago that went through him, and they are making exactly half what I make. They do more work too. I've always wondered of he's getting the other half. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: