Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working and living in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheeba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Working and living in Italy Reply with quote

Hi Guys ,

I've been perusing this forum for a while trying to find out as much as I can about working as a TEFL teacher in Italy . My girlfriend is Italian,I am English and we are both currently living in China . I am in my second year teaching oral English at a University and she is studying Chinese . She wants to go back and live in Italy and see how we get on there. I am quite happy with going there but I am worried about the job situation . I've decided to take my language teaching more seriously and am trying to get on a DELTA right now in Verona starting in October . This would be part time once a week . I have a BSc Business and a CELTA.

My girlfriend lives in Treviso and says I could travel there once a week however I will not be living with her so I could live in Verona if need be . I've searched TEFL.com and applied for a position but not surprisingly no response as yet . Has anybody any advice about jobs in the two cities mentioned (or nearby ) ?I have no living accommodation and of course worry about that too . I'm not rich from China and will have probably have about 1500-2000 pounds on arrival .

I'd like to think I could live in Italy long-term . I'm no fan of the UK for obvious reasons but will making a career in Italy be any easier ? I've just been back to the UK and viewed some English school lessons as I have a PGCE Business Education interview pencilled in the diary . From what I saw this really was not my cup of tea right now - Maybe when I am a bit older but even then I still think that teaching English will always be what I want to do .

So anyone been down the same road and can give me any pointers I would be appreciated .

Kind Regards
sheeba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gosh you guys are quiet !! Anyone out there ? The China forum is heaving compared !
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Signs of life Reply with quote

But I can't help much as off to Italy in the morning!

I'm not sure Italy is potentially lucrative in career opportunities, and the pay is poor compared to the UK. Unlike many Italian (and UK) 20 somethings you won't be able to live with your parents:-). It's not obvious from your post why your not a fan of the UK, but I'd probably concur on the school front, as teaching Italian to FE college students here has been my most difficult task.

I suspect most Italian based teachers are too busy earning their livings and eating well, but hang around and someone with more experience is bound to chime in.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sheeba

There's quite a lot of work as far as I can tell up in your area of Italy, so you should be able to pick something up when you get there. Not many schools advertise on TEFL.com - given that you have to pay for the ads - and a lot of places would advertise locally.

As far as I know, Treviso is close to Padova, and both places have language schools. You're not too far from Venice, either, so could pick up work there.
You already have a CELTA, so that is one hurdle overcome as far as schools are concerned.

You don't say what sort of outgoings you'll have, but if you have to start paying rent and deposits etc, then 2000 pounds may be a little on the low side. Can your girl friend's family have you to stay for the first month or so? That will reduce your outgoings and give you a chance to pick up work.
bowen mango

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: working and living in italy Reply with quote

Hi Sheeba
I am presently working in northern Italy with my wife who is also an English teacher. Before that we had spent a year working in Guangdong Province, China at a local university. I did not realise at the time just how good the terms of our Chinese employment was - free apartment, negligible tax, airfare, loads of holidays and the equivalent of around 700 - 800 Euros a month. We had saved, for example, my wifes entire yearly salary. My salary had paid for living costs, eating out almost every day, extensive travel including monthly trips to Hong Kong for shopping etc. We also bought a notebook computer, digital camera and even an MP3.
I think you could say we lived high on the hog.
From China we arranged our next adventure in Italy and optimistically set out for Europe. I was working two days after arrival and everything appeared great. We then started to look for an apartment and this was when the wheels fell off. We took a lease on an an extremely modest 1 bedroom apartment in a less than fashionable area of town. To secure this we paid, with deposit, rent in advance, agents fees etc, over 4000 Euros (40,000 yuan). Today, I received my first salary. I had worked for 88 hours during the month so I expected a reasonable paycheck. - Cut to the chase.....after 37% tax etc I was left with one months rent, with 15 Euros left for food and everything else we will need for a month.
The moral I suppose, is to research you planned trip very carefully. Accommodation in Italy is sooooooo expensive. A shared apartment might be the best option at around 500 Euros a month. Or else, find a job that offers free accommodation.
Italian tax rates are also very, very high. Check this with your future employer, and ask about your employment status (consultant/employee).
I would be thinking twice about coming to Italy, especially after working in China.
Good luck for the future
sheeba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys .

My girlfriend found addresses for schools in the area. I emailed about 7 of them and I now have 7 interviews lined up ! I was quite happy with that and a bit surprised !! I'll just have to see what they are offering when I go to Italy now for the interviews!!
John ELS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Working and living in Italy Reply with quote

sheeba wrote:
Hi Guys ,

I have a BSc Business and a CELTA.

Kind Regards

You won't have a problem finding work in your area. Don't expect long-term job security though. That comes if you're good and you build a name up for yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: