Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marijuana!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragnsp1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Marijuana!!! Reply with quote

Hey,

Can you get marijuana in Taiwan? I know it's pretty wide spead across China, but, Taiwan>? Anyone?

thanks,

D
killian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like anything outside the pale of the law anywhere, it is to be found if you really want to find it. don't try to smuggle in it. the penalties can be a tad bit harsh.
Okami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this post still up? I do not want Taiwan's LEOs having any more reason to harass me.

Moderators please remover this.

CYA
Okami
dragnsp1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks. But I know you can get if you are seriously determined. I'm wondering if it's something that is pervasive. Like in China there were several different places people sold it - in bars, on the street, etc.

Just curious.

D
dragnsp1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami,

settle down a bit. I don't think this post will effect your stay in Taiwan.
In fact, it's sad that we people have such a strong reaction to some herds.

D
Okami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against any herbs. I'm against something that you can do on your own when you can get into Taiwan. You're putting it on a public forum, where illegal things do not belong. You're breaking etiquette. If you can't realize that then I can't help you.

CYA
Okami
EOD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2,944 arrestees urine specimens submitted (during the period of September 2000 to February 2001) by law enforcement agencies inthree cities and three counties in Taiwan were tested for methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid (THCA) to monitor the use of MDMA and marijuana among the sampled population. Adapted preliminary tests were flu-orescence polarization immunoassay (FPIA, TDx) for amphetamine/methamphetamine (cutoff: 500 ng/mL d-amphetamine) and enzymeimmunoassay for marijuana metabolites (cutoff: 50 ng/mL delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid, THCA). GC/MS tests cutoffsfor MDMA and THCA were 500 and 15 ng/mL, respectively.Among the specimens tested, immunoassay positive rate for amphetamines was 61.7%, while confirmed positive rates for MDMA andTHCA were 1.15% and 0.37%, respectively. All positive specimens came from the three cities, with Taipei City leading the positive ratesof 2.49% for MDMA and 0.65% for THCA. The corresponding positive rates for specimens from Taichung City and Kaohsiung City were1.26%, 0.42% and 0.60%, 0.36%, respectively. No specimen was found positive for both MDMA and THCA. All THCA and the majori-ty of MDMA positive specimens (57%) tested negative for methamphetamine, suggesting that the majority of the marijuana and MDMAabuse population are different from those abusing methamphetamine. Results from this survey also indicate that MDMA and marijuanaabuse are concentrated in the metropolitan areas of Taiwan.Key words: drug testing, urine drug testing, MDMA(Ecstasy), marijuana, drug abuseINTRODUCTIONMarijuana has long been the most popular drug amongyounger population in U.S. and European countries.Similarly, MDMA (also known as Ecstasy), a relatively newamphetamine “designer drug”, has also become popular inEurope and U.S. Both drugs are placed in Schedule I in theU.S. controlled substance list(1). In Taiwan, marijuana andMDMA are classified as schedule 2 controlled drugs underthe Statute for Narcotics Hazard Control(2)list. There are alsoindications of increased abuse of these two drugs in recentyears. Marijuana seizure (1.7 kg) was reported for the firsttime in the national drug abuse statistics(3,4)in 1995. Seizedquantities have increased to 74.0 kg in 2000 and 107 kg in2001. The MDMA seizure (0.07 kg) was first reported laterthan marijuana, in the 1998 national drug abuse statistics(3,4);the amount of seizure has since increased more rapidly to44.7 kg in 2001(3,4). Episodes of MDMA and marijuanaabuse in public places (such as pubs and KTVs) where youngpeople gather, have also been reported(5,6). Laboratory testsof urine specimens collected by police officers from theyoungsters appearing in these places indeed have confirmedthe presence of these drugs. Positive findings of these twodrugs in urine drug testing have been included in national sta-tistics since 1998(3,4). MDMA positive urine specimensreported in 1999, 2000, and 2001 were 1, 149 and 979,respectively. The findings of marijuana cases have beenfewer. Naturally, abuse of these drugs has become a concernof government agencies and the public in general.Statistical information that may provide credible assess-ment to the extent of MDMA and marijuana abuse is current-ly lacking. In 1997, 1,585 urine specimens collected fromHualien, Taipei, Taichung and Kaohsiung was screened formarijuana; one positive was found (7). Since MDMA was nota drug of concern at the time of the study, it was not includedin that survey. The United Nations Office for Drug Controland Crime Prevention statistics projected(Coola 0.5% annualabuse rate of marijuana for Taiwan.With increasing number of foreign population (e.g.,>300,000 foreign laborers) residing in Taiwan and a substan-tial local population traveling abroad, Taiwan will not beexempted from the abuse of new drugs that have high popu-larity in other countries. With this in mind, a survey aimed atassessing the trends and abuse rates of new drugs in our soci-ety was designed. Since the known positive rates of metham-phetamine and morphine of these specimens could be usedfor direct comparison, this study adapted urine drug testingapproach to assess the abuse rates of MDMA and marijuanaamong a specific population group -- arrestees. MATERIALS AND METHODSI. Source of SpecimenUrine specimens routinely submitted to and tested byJournal of Food and Drug Analysis, Vol. 10, No. 2, 2002, Pages 107-111* Author for correspondence. Tel: 02-23517109; Fax: 02-23576353; E-mail: [email protected]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.nlfd.gov.tw/jfda/content/102/06.pdf
If you want to add another post to this thread please PM it to me first.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: