Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prague Neighbourhoods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wrong facts? Simply, to recap my main idea: those who are searching for housing in Prague would do well to take individual opportunities on a case-by-case basis.

I got annoyed about the slander of the entire Prague 9 district, as I have very fond personal memories of the area, still think some parts of it are quite nice - and I really try to keep my personal input on this forum objective.

Run a search, and you'll see that before TEFLW, I often gave a plug to ITC - where I got my own cert. Funny, I was once called an ITC troll, some years back.
Hours of posting are easily explained - I'm currently living in Canada, though we have a flat in the CR and I'm still there four or five months out of the year. My uni here in Canada is on spring holiday, and I'm doing some internet work on my own research project. Dave's is a pretty tempting quick break.

I can simply explain my plugs for TEFLW - the trainers are friends of mine, and I know from first hand experience that they are very professional. I helped out with their first TEFLW course, so I can simply speak from my own knowledge. I'm not hiding my loyalties! But I have absolutely no association with TEFLW other than the fact that I know the trainers - I am in no way an employee of the company. I am familiar with the area surrounding the training centre and the housing offered, and my personal feeling is that it's all quite nice and certainly safe.

I believe that Dave's forum has always welcomed feedback to inquiries that is based on personal experience.
That's the point of the forum,right? What would upset you about my expressing advice based on my personal experience?
zewd

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

I would just like to point out that TEFL Worldwide was mentioned by another poster before Spiral made any reference to the school. I fail to see how this makes him a "troll", he was just answering an inquiry!

I will be going to TEFL Worldwide a week from Tuesday, so thank you Spiral for letting us know a little about the neighborhood. I'll be sure to check out the bakery as well Very Happy
weejay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Žižkov's where it's at.
It's only dangerous at about 6am.
I'd be more concerned about the area round Hlavni Nadraží personally.
beachlovr9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Strasnicka Prague 10 Reply with quote

Hello all,

I used to live in Strasnicka, which I think was Prague 10 (this was in 2001 my memory is going on me), and although it wasn't as beautiful as some of the more pricier areas, it was a good experience and within our budget. It is basically a more family type neighborhood with a nice little park, plenty of transportation, great markets for fruit and veggies (as well as some clothes and odd things), and a fantastic little neighborhood restaraunt that served the best cheap czech food around. I liked living here because were away from the tourists and lived in a "real" czech neighborhood and lived among the locals.

My flatmates and I (3 of us total) lived in an old style set of flats and had an absolute ball. The metro into the city took all of 10 minutes (or less) and the walk to the metro from our flat took about 12 minutes. I am glad I lived there later because it really kept me in shape!!!! We also walked into town most spring mornings because we wanted the excercise (too much partying) and that usually took about an hour, but we were really keen on it, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to all.

Oh well, good luck apt. hunting. Also, by the way, I went through happy house rentals which found us several appts to look at. We used them because our school, ITC recommended them at the time and I found them very very accomodating.

Michelle
[email protected]
kid eh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also lived in Prague 10, in Vrsovice, earlier this year and I really liked it. It's indeed adjacent to P2 and I have to disagree about the night service - we lived a block from the 22 and 23 (also the 4), which are the 57 and 59 at night and the service was great.

Have to agree with beachlovr9 - it was a great neighbourhood, pretty much all Czech people, nice shops and restaurants, etc. It would help to speak more Czech than I did at the time though (which was 'dobry den' and not much else).

And while i'm at it, I've found expats.com great for apartment-hunting.
johnchina

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Living in Prague Reply with quote

Jitkasan - Jeseniova ulice is in Prague - Zizkov. In my opinion, it's a pretty good area, particularly in terms of transport. There's no metro station nearby, but there are a few tram lines and bus links. If you need to find other streets, go to www.mapy.cz (only in Czech, but so simple to use that anyone with a dictionary can use it!). You can switch between 'map' and 'satellite' views of areas. All transport connections are shown. I lived in Prague 4 - Pankrac for most of the time I was in Prague. As has been said, there's not really the 'good' and 'bad' neighbourhood thing in Prague. However, it can take a while to traverse the city, so I'd suggest that the closer to the centre the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: