Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A suitcase or backpack?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to re-check my original post after reading a couple of the responses. (Scot47 and Glenski) I did say, however, that I will be going to Turkey, so that should help clear up any questions (or answers) you may have for me relative to my destination. But, again, I say: I will be going to Turkey, not "overseas" or hence, it's neighbor "abroad".

I'm with naturegirl321. We assumed you are in the USA, and that would mean traveling overseas. (Sorry I missed the mention of Turkey the first time.) Where are you, anyway?
SweetOne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenski:

The country I am in is/has:

1) currently governed by Fascists
2) stores open around the clock to sell the latest by Britany Spears
3) a diverse population (though 1/3 are obese)
4) clean streets and manicured lawns

I could go on, but that should help. If you want to know where in said country I am:. The area is/has

1) 54 mountains that are over 14K tall.
2) landlocked
3) turned down the Olympics in 1976
4) Mike the Headless Chicken Day is celebrated every year
5) We keep grandpa frozen in a toughshed

LAST quiz, to help narrow down my particular location, I

1) own two pairs of Birkenstock sandals
2) think nothing of wearing said Birks to the office
3) am healthier than a lot of my fellow countrymen/women
4) have been vegetarian for 15 years
5) consider myself an "outdoorsy" type.

You can answer the questions and figure out where I am, or go back to my original post. Smile

Peace, Love and Happiness
SweetOne
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always travel with a backpack and a carry on bag. I am not a chronic, flaky backpacker, in that I tend to stay in one country for at least a few years, renting a flat and always fulfilling my yearlong contracts. I've lived out of a backpack for ten years. If I accumulate more than my bag can carry, I either give my east-needed things to charity or I ship things home to my parents' in Canada. However, I like the versatility of a backpack- in my summer and winter holidays, I easily can go travelling with it. I hate suitcases! How on earth do you lug those babies around? There is no shame in carrying a backpack. It depends on how you use it... and how you live your life. Suitcase does not necessarily = stability and maturity. Very Happy

As for Turkey, pack for 4 seasons, minimally. You can buy cheap clothes there, and they will be in the styles the turks prefer--- I found out the hard way that my fashion sense (clunky funky boots, turtlenecks, long flowy skirts, baggy hipster jeans) is really really unhip in my part of Turkey. There, they either dress up in the drab raincoat 'n' headscarf or in super tight, super dressed-up and made-up night-club styles. If you wear contact lenses, bring your solution with you as it is verrrrrry pricy there. Bring books to read during the long winter months- though since you'll be in Bursa you can nip across to Istanbul more easily than I could.

Pack lightly but wisely. I'm heading back in a few days, and my backpack is already stuffed with books, non turkish CDs, a tiny stovetop espresso maker and 3 bags of lavazza (the turks think nescafe is coffee....erg), and a collection of condiments that cannot be found in my city that I know I will crave come winter- Thai curry pastes, my pakistani aunt's excellent home-ground garam masala, a baggie of mexican chili powder, a baggie of gourmet hot chocolate, bricks of dry coconut milk. I love cooking and felt frustrated at times by the limited selection in Turkey. Turkish food is a joy to behold but I found I missed these comforts of home, the variety in flavours. I packed almost no clothes, aside from sturdy winter boots (the turk ladies like spike heels on their smooth soled boots) and a few preferred clothing items. I'll get my winter coat back in Kayseri. It's a lot cheaper there.
Cobra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type and size of bag, as well as what you put in it, are not half as important as the attitude you pack.

A teacher can show up with a backpack or a backpacker can show up with a suitcase.

However,

a teacher brings a "suitcase" while a backpacker brings a "backpack."

Teacher - one interested in imparting knowledge to students and taking vacations during vacation time. (suitcase mentality)

Backpacker - one interested in vacationing and teaching only as absolutely required as a financial necessity. (backpack mentality)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of our school travels a bit and brings a backpack, a small suitcase and a carry on. Bring what you think is best for you. And your attitude should count more than what you show up with.
rogan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that the contents are more important than the container.

Someone travelling with a backpack isn't necessarily a "backpacker" teacher.
For me "backpacker" is someone with an attitude and a behaviour pattern which is anathema to me.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all posters: thank you for your suggestions. I am going to take both. I can always discard those things I find impractical easier than I can replace them. So, I am going to bring a huge suitcase and a backpack (plus a carry on). I am planning on being there for at least a year. (Longer, if it is mutually rewarding.)

I just didn't know what to do. I am a bit overwhelmed with the process. I am getting rid of all my worldly possessions, save pictures, a few select books, a bunch of cds and some trinkets that were given with love. To that end, I had a yard sale (without the yard) and sold nothing. I wound up giving most of it away. This is the second time I had to do this and it is a bit nerve-racking. My apartment is in total disarray, I have to be out of here by this Sunday, and the paperwork is not yet finalized. I am going on faith, folks.

But, I digress. Thank you again for the help. Peace.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, back to square one: The school seems to have disappeared off the radar screen. Sooooo... I am not planning on going with a full load of clothes. Looks like a backpack would be my best plan and not because I have backpaker mentality, but it appears that the school does. waaaaa....
misteradventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: what to pack Reply with quote

I packed for a cold-wintery type country where the footwear is cheap but you get what you pay for. I packed a huge rolling suitcase (books, boots, suit jacket) and a duffel bag (Crushables).

Mind you, this is an ex-US Army Duffel bag, the kind with straps to wear it on your back.

I tend to pack books- I have 3 courses I thought I'd atempt. Of course, since I'm not geting paid, I may have more free time than I thought......

I'm all for shipping coats, etc. in retrospect as I haven't been here long enough to use my Alaska gear. BUT, that may be my next job.....
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Coming to Turkey Reply with quote

Hi Sweet one

Going by your last post it seems there is a question mark about the school if they fall through try Izmir my place is still in need of teachers a lot more .
About packing bring as much as you can carry but clothes are cheap to buy over here so don't go overboard try to bring teaching materials and as someone else mentioned those small things that make life pleasant . Those little items that go under the list of femine requsites are worth bringing as they can be expensive or hard to find over here but Istanbul is fairly close to you and they do have some excellent stores there . Agood pair of walking boots is a must if that is your bag they are available here but pricy too . Drugs of every shape size and colour abound here no problem usually cheaper than the stuff back home . English cd's and cassettes are here too usually cheaper than elsewhere lots of pirates and electric goods are generally a lot cheaper . Dress warm for winter Bursa can be COLD usually minus 5 to 8 Ankara is worse and the further East you go the colder it gets a place called called Ersurum drops to minus 40 sometimes snow fall is measured in metres . Hope this helps sorry I didn't see your thread sooner . Welcome to Turkey .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: