Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Working in Secondary Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecinaa

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: American Working in Secondary Schools Reply with quote

Just wondering. I'm American, and I am certified to teach over here in Texas. (Yes, I am from Texas, but if it's any comfort to anyone, I'm from deep, South Texas). Can I teach at a secondary school in England? I was reading some old posts about it, and they mentioned there was such a great need for them they were hiring Americans. However, these posts were about two or three years old. Also, what are the hours like for teachers in secondary schools? Is it a 8-5 thing?

Besides that, is there any way to work in England?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
Will.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do need QTS that is qualified teacher status or an acceptable equivalent from your home country to teach in secondary schools. you can get this from one of the NARIC a government agency it costs aboutr£30 i don't know about US citizens working in the UK this is something to find out from specific schools or from the ads in the press or online

Alternatively
Summer schools in the EFL sector could be a possibility while you are looking for work. Most jobs are advertised in the TES in March/April just before Easter vacs as this is the moment when current teachers have toi submit lresignations when they move to another job
Check the threads for links. I have put a few out there.
Cecinaa

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Will, I will look into it.
sprightly

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a canadian friend of mine was part of some deal from the local education authority, who took care of his visa, found him a flat, basically got him all settled in. (then threw him into a class of 30 pre-criminals, but that doesn't always happen.)

he found them at an education fair aimed at recent B.Ed grads.

the independent schools in england may be easier to crack, but there's a wierd sort of thing where state teachers swear going independent is bad for your career... i just started here, so i don't understand it.

try looking around the tes site for more info. their 'staffroom' is more active.

www.tes.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: