Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waiting for the baloon to go up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Waiting for the baloon to go up Reply with quote

Hi Forum
Well here we are again the hols are just about over and next week the new academic year starts ,however there are some of us who have to hang around til the middle of October and beyond before the ball starts rolling ,in the meantime we are expected to just hang around and play out a waiting game . Why does this charade take place ? I would much prefer to be out of the city making the most of the weather before it cools than sitting in an air conditioned office being fed everyday by my employer at no small expense ,is it all about control ?
Does anyone else feel the same? There is a limit to how much time you need to prepare for the same lessons you did in the previous year using the same materials .
gelin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this Monday, but was at school full-time for the previous two weeks and was at school for two weeks after school let out last term. We did have some good seminars to attend (and some bad ones), but the time really did drag on. Amazingly, there were still teachers who were unprepared. Perhaps we are penalized for those people??? The Turkish mentality, too, is that if you are being paid, that you should be at work. AAAAnd let us not forget that the Ministry of Education sets the dates, my friend.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the past week and a half sitting inthe English department, doing my email and metaphorically filing my nails and eating bonbons (actually, drinking hideous nescafe and reading cheap novels). I did my yearly plan in one day. Yawn. It's all a farce anyway, as the plan fell apart within a week after school started, with the kids being faster or slower than expected.
richard ame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Hanging around and wasting time doing squat Reply with quote

Hi Yaramaz
My point entirely the things we know we need to do can be done in a day a week tops but at huge expense to our various employers we are kept virtual prisoner marking time and generally pissing about when we could party or get on with something meaningful or not it really is a farce especially when the "favoured few" get to stay away for 2 or 3 weeks more . You end up starting the year with a less than positive attitude .
gelin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My employer pays me year-round so I guess it's to their advantage to have me "work." It looks good to have teachers walking around the school when parents come and enroll their little dumpling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: