Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is Mangaf?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janeee

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: How is Mangaf? Reply with quote

Hello, I've been offered a position teaching for the Ministry of Defense. The housing they provide is a 2 bedroom apartment in Mangaf. How is Mangaf? Is there anything of recreational interest in the area? Is it very far from the city center of Kuwait? Is it a fairly comfortable place for a single young woman? Thanks in advance!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the threads about working for MOD? It doesn't sound too positive. In fact, military related teaching has a very bad reputation all up and down the Gulf...

I'm not familiar with Mangaf... looked on the map and it is WAY south of the city center. It would be a long jaunt on their deadly highways to get there very often.

I suspect that it may not be a great place for a single female and I would check things out VERY carefully before accepting this position. Preferably communicate with a single western female who is now or has lately lived there.

VS
Rommel

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is correct, in that Western women do find it difficult adjusting to the MOD, and Kuwait in general, if they're on their own. I've done two stints with MOD. Two years ago, there were 4 women teachers and the students really enjoyed them. However, they were strong, confident teachers who let the students know they were there to do a job, period. The problem is you not only have to deal with the students, but the brass as well. If they like you, you're ok. Remember, all of your students are young, thick Arab men, so dress conservatively, keep them interested in the lesson/book, and you'll be fine.
As for Mangaf. well, the apartment is fine, but unfortunately, Mangaf offers nothing in the way of entertainment. On days off, however, the teachers usually get together for lunch and shopping in the city.
I suggest that you get in contact with the Team Leader, Abusurea, and ask for e-mail addresses for the other women there. See if you can start a relationship with them before you get there. PM me if you need some help.

Good luck
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from Rommel. He is correct that experienced mature women (I mean experienced educators if anyone out there gets the wrong idea. Rolling Eyes) often find it easier to handle these male students than men. It also helps if you are old enough to be their mother. Cool

VS
q8teacher

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, most schools have moved teachers into accomadation in this area(Fintas, Mahboula and Mangaf) away from the city because apartment prices are cheaper there. Mangaf has plenty of photo stands, restaurants, corner stores, chocolate shops, amusement park, and is close to a mall Al Kout Mall on Gulf Road etc...it is also next to Fahaheel a medium large city with bazaars and malls-but you'll still find yourself wanting to go to the hubs of Kuwait for Western expatriates like Salmiya(15 minutes) Razz and Kuwait City about 1/2 hour away. Razz
LadyBrettAshley

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Fahaheel Reply with quote

I have read that Fahaheel may not be that safe (have had some terrorist like activity)...What is the proximity of Fahaheel to Mangaf? Should that be a concern or just a place to avoid, if any?

Thanks.
LBA
younggeorge

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you read that, but I don't think Fahaheel is any more terrorist-prone than anywhere else - and Kuwait's little burst of anti-American attacks seems to have fizzled out anyway. I used to like Fahaheel - the harbour area had an almost Mediterranean feel to it, with lobster pots stacked up beside the road. Can't remember how close it is to Mangaf - not very, I think.
Rommel

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggeorge wrote:
I used to like Fahaheel - the harbour area had an almost Mediterranean feel to it, with lobster pots stacked up beside the road. Can't remember how close it is to Mangaf - not very, I think.

I've never visited the Mediterranean, but if it's anything like Fahaheel, it's a TOILET. Never saw any lobster pots on the side of the road in Fahaheel. I think you're confused. Those are actually over-flowing trash cans!

Oh, and Mangaf is right next to Fahaheel.
younggeorge

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rommel wrote:

I've never visited the Mediterranean, but if it's anything like Fahaheel, it's a TOILET. Never saw any lobster pots on the side of the road in Fahaheel. I think you're confused. Those are actually over-flowing trash cans!

Oh, and Mangaf is right next to Fahaheel.

Well, it was a while ago. Must learn to keep my reminiscences to myself.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the neighborhood has really gone downhill or perhaps you've mixed up the areas. Shocked

Are there lobsters in the Gulf? I don't recall them showing up on menus anywhere...

VS
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahaheel and Mangaf run into each other no break. Basically, all of Kuwait is as safe as anywhere else.
Fahaheel has a new marina shopping Mall, cafes etc. many more shops still under construction.
Lobster is on the menu of high class fish restaurants, they are sold fresh in the Sultan Centre Salmiya.
Just off to Fahaheel, then lobster luncheon maybe.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but are they local lobsters? just wondering...

For some reason I thought lobsters liked colder water, though that just may be a misperception because the best US lobsters come from the north Atlantic area.

VS
Rommel

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Bilbo wrote:

Lobster is on the menu of high class fish restaurants, they are sold fresh in the Sultan Centre Salmiya.
Just off to Fahaheel, then lobster luncheon maybe.

I lived 2+ years in Kuwait and I honestly can't remember seeing 1 lobster! The fish markets were full of lots of fish and shrimp during the season, but I didn't see any lobsters. I also don't remember seeing them on any menus I looked at . (Which probably says something about the places I ate at! )

Where are all the lobsters! Confused
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or some reason I thought lobsters liked colder water,
We get them off the coast of Sri Lanka. so although Maine lobsters may be better, warm water isn't a great problem.
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobster is served at the Captain's Table Restaurant, in the Crowne Plaza.

VS. The lobsters in the Sultan Center are alive in a tank, but where they come from I have no idea, I only eat them, not interview them.

So Rommel just because you haven't seen them does not mean they don't exist. Want to go to the Crowne Plaza give me a call.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: