Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grandfather from Switzerland - can I get EU passport?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Grandfather from Switzerland - can I get EU passport? Reply with quote

Hello!

My grandfather was born in Switzerland in 1864, and his father was also born there in 1834.

My dad was born in America in 1904, and I was born here in 1960. Weird huh? Only four generations in so many years!

Anyway, I am now 43, single, with a Master of Education degree in TESL. I would really like to teach in Europe.

Can I obtain an EU passport on the basis of my great-grandfather's and my grandfather's births in Switzerland? Thanks -
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since none of us (as far as I know) are immigration lawyers, have you thought about checking with the Swiss Embassy?
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Switzerland Reply with quote

You have an interesting family history!
Switzerland has a funny relationship with the EU: it's "in" economically, but "out" in other respects. I imagine that the freedom of movement enjoyed by citizens of full member states extends to the Swiss also, but I could be wrong.
I suggest you contact the nearest Swiss embassy/consulate to confirm your eligibility for a Swiss passport.
Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.
shirley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: EU Passports Reply with quote

Sorry but Switzerland is not part of the EU. There is no "free movement" between Switzerland and her EU neighbors. EU citizens must show their passports when travelling through Switzerland and Euros are neither welcomed nor accepted. I've seen EU citizens tossed off trains at the Italian and German borders for not having their passports with them. With your education you don't need an EU passport. Universities are looking for you but they don't pay much by US standards (but you don't work much either). Apply directly to the universities. Good luck.
Shirley
lajzar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little off topic, but your family history shows 4 generations in 100 years. This is actually pretty average statistically, noyt weird at all.
Micro67

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Keep us posted Reply with quote

I'm doing the same thing. I have written to some of the embassies that I may have a shot with and will post what the outcomes are.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switzerland not in EU so no chance of an EU passport.

Grandfather born in Switzerland so no chance of a Swiss passport. Here's the link for you http://www.eda.admin.ch/london_emb/e/home/conser/natlaw.html
And the quote:
Quote:
The current legislation on Swiss nationality is based on the following principles:

Citizenship rights at three levels: communal, cantonal and Swiss federal citizenship rights
Acquisition of nationality by descent
Equal rights for men and women
Entitlement to Swiss nationality (naturalisation, simplified naturalisation)
The Federal Law on the Acquisition and Loss of Swiss Nationality of 29 September 1952 came into force on 1 January 1953 and has since been amended several times.

The most important provisions of this Law are summarised below.

Art. 1 Swiss nationality is acquired from birth by:
a. a child whose parents are married to each other and whose father or mother is a Swiss national (exception: a child of a marriage between a foreign national and a Swiss woman who acquired her Swiss nationality through a previous marriage to a Swiss national)
b. a child of a Swiss woman who is not married to the child�s father.
A child below the age of majority who is a foreign national acquires Swiss nationality in the same way as he or she would have done at birth, if his/her Swiss father subsequently marries his/her mother of another nationality.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have one Irish grandparent you may qualify for Irish nationality.

"Ireland" in this context means any of the 32 counties, i.e. The Irish Republic and Northern Ireland.

Ireland - unlike Switzerland - is a member of the EU.

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
schminken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG Reply with quote

There is no such thing as an EU passport!!! You can have an Austrian passport or a French one but you can't have the magical "EU" one. Now if you are from Austria and want to work in France, that's a whole other ball of wax. Geez Louise. Switzerland is not part of the EU anyway. I live on the border and have to go through passport control and customs on the train, when I'm in my car, even when I'm riding my bike or walking across the border.

If you managed to get an Irish passport or a Spanish passport or whatever the hell it is and you want to work in Switzerland or vice versa, you might have slightly better chances of finding something because Switzerland has a certain qouta for B Permits (15,000) for EU/EFTA citizens and after those are granted, there might be 3 or 4 left over for the rest of us who would kill to work in Confederatio Helvetia.

I don't know why I going on such a tirade here. I think I'm just bitter. Nice question. Next?
Micro67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schminken wrote:
There is no such thing as an EU passport!!! You can have an Austrian passport or a French one but you can't have the magical "EU" one.
It is true, many of us look at that passport from a European country as magical. The reference to EU is meant to cover any country with which we can gain citizenship.
schminken wrote:
Now if you are from Austria and want to work in France, that's a whole other ball of wax. If you managed to get an Irish passport or a Spanish passport or whatever the hell it is and you want to work in Switzerland or vice versa, you might have slightly better chances of finding something because Switzerland has a certain qouta for B Permits (15,000) for EU/EFTA citizens and after those are granted, there might be 3 or 4 left over for the rest of us who would kill to work in Confederatio Helvetia.
That is where a lot of us are at. If that Irish passport comes though, the whole of Europe opens up to us.

schminken wrote:
I don't know why I going on such a tirade here. I think I'm just bitter. Nice question. Next?
Could it be because most of us that are working on this angle are Americans?
schminken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's understandable. A lot of Americans want to work in Europe. Including me. Oh wait, I do!!! Smile

I wish you a lot of luck getting the passport of your dreams. If you can't, don't give up hope. There's always a chance of being in the right place at the right time.
PrimaryTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: It's Switzerland! Reply with quote

I would give anything for a Swiss passport. Who needs an EU country passport when one can have beautiful Switzerland. I would settle for a sponsor there temporarily...
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: passports Reply with quote

My grandad once went to Mexico. Can I get US citizenship ? I really want to be President of the USA.
PrimaryTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Off Topic Reply with quote

Scot..... If your message is in reply to mine, it is totally off topic.
lajzar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a reply to the original poster (hint: Switzerland is part of the EU in the same way Mexico is part of the USA). Unfortunately, conventional writing style and the threading system on these boards (or lack of it) makes this hard to tell.

But off-topic? Its about as on-topic as it is possible to be, if a little sarcastic. I think the word you were looking for is non-sequitur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: