Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Visas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Work Visas Reply with quote

How long is a work visa in Japan valid? Are there different types? And, once you get your work Visa can you quit the school that sponsored you, and go to another?

Also, If I were to just show up in Japan with the expectation of a getting a job, could I rent an apartment without a visa? I wouldn't jave a job, so of course, I wouldn't be sponsored. If anybody can answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site for all the information you need on visas.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/

Yes, you can quit the position that you got with your work visa if you want to. The visa follows you. That said, are you planning on this as some sneaky proposition for something? If you are thinking of ditching your job the moment you land in Japan, have a heart and think of the reputation of your fellow teachers and your fellow countrymen.

How would you expect a person with a tourist visa to rent an apartment? No references. No job in Japan. No apartment. Come on. You will need a sponsor, which means an employer, unless you rent a gaijin house (shared dormitory style housing).
PAULH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Felix is not aware of the fact that to rent any apartment in japan, apart from the gaijin hostels, genearlly speaking he will need a guarantor and pay anything from 3-5 months rent UP FRONT, (or between 200-300,000 yen for a 60,000 yen a month room) before the landlord will give you the key. Real estate agents in Tokyo are also notorious for refusing to rent to ANY foreigners, no matter what your job or financial status.

You dont say how you plan to pay for the rent, let alone the key money if you dont have a job or a regular pay check coming in or why a Japanese landlord would rent to an unemployed foreigner.
Felix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I got set up in the Czech Republic - by just going there and renting a flat. No, I didn't need a visa or whatever, I got that all later though. I just had to show my passport and pay my cash. I didn't know if it's the same in Japan.

Paul - I would pay for this with savings, even though I'd hate to spend my savings getting set-up like this.

The reason I wanted to know about the visa is that if I felt I was being taken advantage of, or exploited, by my employer I could bail and find a decent job there. I wouldn't want to be forced to work through a contract just so I could stay in Japan.

Glenski, I have been reading your posts for well over a year, and I really appreciate your help. I notice, though, that you've become alot more cynical in your posts. Like all these constant questions are trying your patience.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix wrote:

Glenski, I have been reading your posts for well over a year, and I really appreciate your help. I notice, though, that you've become alot more cynical in your posts. Like all these constant questions are trying your patience.

If you've been reading for over a year then you should already know all the answers to your questions because they've been answered time and time again!

Is it any wonder people sound terse or cynical?! Personally, I think glenski shows remarkable restraint - I know I can't be bothered with half the inane questions when people should know better.
PAULH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I wanted to know about the visa is that if I felt I was being taken advantage of, or exploited, by my employer I could bail and find a decent job there. I wouldn't want to be forced to work through a contract just so I could stay in Japan.

This has been written about many times before, including by Glenski.

Just a couple of points to recap.

With a valid work visa (not a tourist visa) you can work on the visa until it expires, even if you change employers. You will need a new sponsor when you renew.

To quit a job requires between one and two months notice if you intend to leave. If you quit a job without notice eventually you will leave a burning trail all over your resume. If you feel you are beeing abused their are very strong and powerful unions in japan that can represent you and negotiate on your behalf with your employer. Often bailing out will create resentment and make it harder for the person following you. maybe the person before you caused trouble and that is why the employer may impose restrictions or petty rules you dont agree with etc.

The only advice I can give you to avoid being exploited by employers is to do your homework and find out about your employers before you sign a contract. Many times employees are no saints either and dont you think its no surprise that employers become hard-nosed when petulant foreigners walk out on them at the drop of a hat or they feel theya re being maligned? landlords for the most part are somewhat xenophobic, and often think that foreigners will throw wild parties or stink out the kitchen with strange smells, or put out the garbage on the wrong day. Thats a bit off the point but anyway- it will cost you an arm and a leg to find a place. Be prepared to cough up at least $$3000-4000 for key money.

If you get employer sponsored accomodation you may not pay key money but you will give up your apartment if you leave.

Maybe Im reading you wrong here but you say you want to bail out on your employer to find a decent job, whcih implies your first job wasnt decent to begin with. Is your employer to blame for that if you didnt find that out first by asking other teachers, learning its reputation? Many schools have been around long enough to develop a history of some kind and everyone knows the ones you should avoid. Maybe you should try aiming for better schools to begin with, or else think about upgrading your qualifications so you can apply for them.

There is no such thing as a perfect employer or a perfect job though some are better than others. Some preliminary research will go a long way and avoid you having to bail out when things go wrong.

This is only my personal opinion and your idea of decent may be different than mine, but "decent" jobs come to you by hard work, diligence, paying your dues, gaining experience and acquiring professional qualifications. Connections are also a key in finding good jobs as well. Such jobs take time, while living in Japan is an expensive undertaking. You will find you will not likely make anything in the first year as you have your set up costs, pay off airfares and accomodation etc.

Sometimes you have to wade through the chaff to find the good paying jobs as well-
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix,

To respond to your message:

Quote:

Yup, they are. As Paul H stated, these are questions that come up extremely often and have been answered by people like him and me equally often. For what it's worth, I've been informally commissioned to make an FAQ section for this web site, and all I can say is this. I hope that everyone who comes here to ask the most basic questions about working in Japan reads it before they post messages. Until then, I will try to remain civil and professional in my remarks, but there will be days. I'm only human. At least I don't call people names or insult them, like I've seen on so many other forums.

However, I also feel that people should do basic research on their own. The MOFA web site is something easily found. The fact that Japan is the most expensive country in the world is common knowledge, and to think that it operates even remotely like Czech is rather naive.

To avoid stinging remarks, it helps to post a little more background on your questions. For example, "I've looked around the Internet for 3 days now but can't find a site on XYZ. Can someone help me find this information?" Or, in reference to the housing issue, "I was able to rent without a visa in Czech and was wondering if that was possible in Japan."

My apologies all the same to Felix.
David W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
Felix wrote:

If you've been reading for over a year then you should already know all the answers to your questions because they've been answered time and time again!

Is it any wonder people sound terse or cynical?! Personally, I think glenski shows remarkable restraint - I know I can't be bothered with half the inane questions when people should know better.
I agree, the man has the patience of a saint Very Happy Not suggesting that Felix is doing this but these boards are cluttered with people who want others to do their leg work for them. Dave Sperling suggests reading the Job Info Journal before posting. I wonder how many newbies actually do. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water.......
(Felix- again, this was not meant as a flame to you Very Happy )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: