Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is Mangaf?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred Bilbo wrote:
VS. The lobsters in the Sultan Center are alive in a tank, but where they come from I have no idea, I only eat them, not interview them.

Laughing I guess I will have to email a friend who used to dive off Kuwait to solve this crucial mystery...

VS
q8teacher

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Way off the topic here! Was the person asking about lobsters or terrorism? I came in 2002 right before the war and yes there was alot of attacks on Westerners and I heard on the embassy though it may be gossip. There was no particular hotspot. Some consultants were shot coming out of a military camp, some military men were shot while training on one of the islands, the orphanage next to my school in Salwa had a volunteer who shot someone-though I don't remember if it was a military or civilian target. Someone young boys were lobbing molitov cocktails at Western apartments and were caught in the act. Last year the embassy sent out a notice that some men in a car had attacked a Westerner which lead to a sweep in the Fahaheel area. But in general, it is one of the safest countries for you to work in, I haven't heard of many attcks since the war and certainly they are not in one particular city and are not frequent. I hope that's helpful. Wink
q8teacher

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe they censured molitov cocktails! The homemade gasoline bombs. Surprised
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounded like the days report on the nightly news in Phoenix (or any other large urban US city), so I agree that you are still safer in Kuwait.

Most (but not all) attacks in Kuwait have been directly related towards US Military facilities which are out in the desert.

VS
Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manghaf is fine. I live in Mahboula, which neighbours Mangaf. Mangaf is closer to Fahaheel, which has a decent, if busy, mall, a Sultan Centre (the best grocery store for western goods), and some decent and interesting shopping. It's not too terrorist-y, although I've heard that too. Good deals on gold at some of the shops in Fahaheel though. In Mangaf, you have the Sultan Centre wholesale store, which is pretty decent, some other shops in strip malls, and the Hilton Resort, where most teachers have memberships. There's a gym, an outdoor path, and a private beach and swimming pool there, as well as a Starbucks and other restaurants. Someone mentioned Salmiya. It's closer to downtown and the main souk areas (and has the best Sultan Centre in my opinion) as well as the most popular mall in Kuwait (and if you are getting the idea that shopping is a big part of the lifestyle, you are right), but it is gridlocked for traffic in the evenings and on weekends. I find the Fintas/Mahboula/Mangaf area fairly acceptable. The main problem I have with it here is that there is too much traffic and too many interested men to make going for a walk or bike ride fun. I usually wind up at the Hilton, often with all the other single women.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: