Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in/around Hong Kong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jowiggi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Teaching in/around Hong Kong Reply with quote

Hello all. My husband has an opportunity to work with and be sponsored by his uncle in Hong Kong this year, so we may be moving there in the coming months. If we do I am very interested in teaching English. I have a BA in Spanish and am trying to decide which TESOL/CELTA certification to go with for that area. I also have over a year's experience teaching ESL at a primary school through the Alabama school system and have taught ESL to adults on a volunteer basis.

Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to get a NET/PNET job in or near Hong Kong for the coming school year or have they finished their hiring round? I expect to be certified by mid-May at the latest.

Can anyone tell me which certification or diploma (TESOL/CELTA) is preferred in that area? I am considering an on-line course to save time and money but am not sure how effective that route would be. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Joanie in Nashville
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are underqualified, and that is not something you can fix by 'buying' another degree.
Most importantly, you are not experienced.

There might be opportunities for you working at private tutorial centres or tutoring on your own.
jowiggi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it the standards used for hiring English teachers in Hong Kong are quite a bit higher than in the rest of China. Do you know where I can find information on tutorial centers that may be hiring? Thanks for the input.
once again

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Hong Kong Opportunites. Reply with quote

It is too late to get onto the Net schemes as the application dates have passed, and your qualifictions are border line entry.

However, once in Hong Kong and with a visa that allows you to work, there are plenty of opportunites for teaching work. The Celta or Tesol are probably the best recognised here. You can find work in local primary and secondary schools through agencies. THe pay will be around $300 HK per hour on a part time basis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: