Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fool`s Paradise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Fool`s Paradise Reply with quote

has anyone ever read this book? It came out in the 80s and is by an American who used to teach English in Saudi.

If you have read it, does it ring true?

Brooks
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't read it, nor have I even heard of it. Might be interesting, though.

I heard yesterday that some US ex-pats refer to themselves as "golden slaves". Frankly, considering that there are many Third World nationals living here in what amount to conditions of slavery, I think such a term is self-indulgent and rather crass. If such people are slaves, then they are slaves to their own materialism.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Books and tapes Reply with quote

Dear Brook,
I read it, back in the 80s and in, of all places, Riyadh. But I'd thought it was published even before that - late 70s, maybe? As I recall, it was well done, funny and " rang true " - to me, anyway. Wish I could recall the author's name but it escapes me. He had a nice, wry, self-deprecating take of the life many " Westerners " experience in the Kingdom, though.
Regards,
John
P.S. I'm reminded of that cassette that used to go around in the 80s, too. The songs used familiar melodies but changed the words to ones much more appropriate to the Kingdom. Think is was called something like " Exit Only ". One song I dimly recall had " Yememi workers " putting new words to Disney's " Hi Ho, Hi Ho - It's off to work we go ". Think the first 2 lines were - " Hi Ho, Hi He, I am a Yemeni ". Anybody else recall that? Come to think on it, I may even still have a copy of it somewhere, buried in a trunk.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Corr also referred to the tape in a post a few months ago. The group was an actual live group that used to perform regularly in the Western compounds in Saudi.

Incidentally, on the subject of good books dealing with Westerners and the Gulf, try and get a copy of "The Coca Cola Wars", which deals with the lorry drivers trek to Saudi and the Emirates in the late 70's before they got Jeddah port up and running. The author drove a lorry to Saudi, but was a somewhat atypical truckie since his previous job was art critic of "The Times". Exceptionally well written and perceptive though.

And on the subject of books about Saudi take a look at "Mirage" byt eh Sri Lankan writer Bandula Chandraratne, published in the Uk by Phoenix. It might be of more interest to those who have not lived in Saudi, but to have a novel with a Saudi hero is rare enough to make it worth looking at.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Buy the book Reply with quote

Dear Stephen,
Thanks for the tips about those two books, neither of which I'd heard of before - not that I'm getting " nostalgic " for the Kingdom, but they both sound interesting.
Regards,
John
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the author was Dale Walker. The book was originally published in 1980, and again in 1988 by Vintage.

Religion and Women! seem to be the main themes in the Magic Kingdom.
And walking black sacks too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: