Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

computer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: computer Reply with quote

Should I buy one here in the States, or wait until I get to Turkey? I don't have much time for an answer, and sadly, put it off until the last minute (literally) Price-wise, which is more economical? I heard that electronics can be more expensive over there.

Your advise, please?
richard ame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: computers Reply with quote

Hi

Don't bother bringing your own too much hassle at the airport and they are cheaper over here new or second hand .
boxcarwilly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Laptop Here or There Reply with quote

The disadvantage of buying a laptop here in Istanbul is the price. It's expensive due to the fact that these items are imported and then you pay an additional 18% VAT. Buying one in the States is cheaper.
The disadvantage of buying one in the States and bringing it here is a matter of service. It something goes wrong, and it can, sending the device back or getting it repaired here can be a nightmare. And it depends on the kind of warrenty you have (International?). Might depend on how long you anticipate staying here, short time or long time. If thinking about a longer term stay and that is what happens to most of us, consider buying one here and paying the extra money for the convenience of getting it serviced. If staying 6 months or less, maybe buy it in your home country.
Also, if you are considering staying long term, my advice would be for you to process a work visa if possible in your home country before coming. There is a lot of BS that floats around here about work visa's and you can avoid this mess by getting it before you come here. If you stay long term, you will not regret getting this visa before you set foot in Turkey.
By the way, the Turkish Lira is very strong now against the dollar.
This is bad if you are holding dollars. It gets much worse if you have to withdraw funds from a Turkish bank ATM (actually there are no banks here, just highly organized loan sharks). You will get a better rate by taking dollars to the local Doviz for exchange rather than having your dollars translated in Turkish Liras from a bank ATM. So arrive with dollars.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I do plan to be there for at least a year and have arranged, with a mutual friend, to get a 'puter when I arrive. It does seem to make more sense, in the long run.

Richard, the school has reappeared, so I will be going to Bursa in the morning (fly out of the states tomorrow, arrive turkey friday) YAY!!!

Boxcarwilly: I obtained my work visa (what a bunch of hoops I had to jump through!!) Thanks for the information about the lira v. dollar. I hadn't checked it in recent weeks and was wondering. I was planning on showing up with some dollars, but now I think I will increase that amount.

Well, here's hopin' my flight is smooth and bearable.

Smile
richard ame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Welcome to Turkey Reply with quote

Hi Sweetie

Glad to hear the school has resurfaced keep in touch and good luck !!!!!
yaramaz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how things go for you... I'm currently having a lovely time in the Lise- should have done this job switch ages ago! O, and the skies are blue, the sun is shining, the �ay is piping hot.... Turkey is good.

I am not looking forward to another central Anatolian winter though.... oooof ya. Shocked Crying or Very sad Shocked Sad Shocked Confused
SweetOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaramaz: Do I understand you to mean that you are no longer at TED Kayseri� (that was supposed to be a question mark, but I haven�t figured out where it is yet. Same thing with the apostrophe)

I am HERE!!! Yay!!! I love Bursa. I am set up in a nice apartment and am happy for the life I have.

Smile

Peace.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here at TED Kayseri, but last year I was in the primary section, this year I'm in the high school (lise) which is reallllllly nice and quiet and intellectually stimulating.
Are you at a k12 or lingo school or what in Bursa? Single flat? Decent pay? Hours? I'm curious for next year....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: