Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HONESTY WANTED PLEASE...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark-O

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the increasing number of posts - some good advice and some issues that still need ironing out.

One question: For the NET scheme, or those jobs independently advertised by individual schools to attract NET equivalents (ie those who are equally qualified as the successful NET applicants), then is the teaching experience gained in your PGCE, TEFL cert taken into account as relevant working experience?

How strict are they on you if you have no other work experience (except from your qualifications) but you meet the qualification grades?
Mark-O

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like my chances of any NET type job are doomed anyway. As a science degree holder then I will only be considered if I have:

1. A PDGE (I take it this is the same as a PGCE?!)
2. A TEFL Diploma
3. 1 year work experience ....

...according to the NET website: http://www.emb.gov.hk/eng/highlights.asp?sid=16&cid=71

I might be able to manage to get a PGCE but 2 and 3 aren't do-able in the time I have of 2 years.

Never mind.

Is a PGCE still worth attaining for me to get work in HK, even if it isn't as a NET?
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Yes, in the UK we call it PGCE....elsewhere it's PGDE, but it's the same. I assure you Mark you wouldn't want to teach as a NET without at least a year or two of experience at the coal face....you'd get mauled. In any case, they certainly wouldn't recruit you. The PGCE is good value....you can use it around the world and it's good training. However, if you just want to get out there and teach, take the CELTA or TESOL qual, get some experience in HK or anywhere (you could be teaching in a private school 2 months from now) and see if you like it. Then make a decision about whether to do a PGCE or not.
combchick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice from Marcoregano about PGCE and PGDE.
I'm a bit worried about getting "mauled" in Hong Kong. Is it so bad? I'm an experienced teacher but I think you've put the wind up me - and yes, I'm going to a secondary school.

It sounds like HK will be difficult for you Mark O. Why don't you opt for china or Taiwan? I'm in China at the moment, but taking up a NET job in HK in August.
If you come to China you could teach English with only your science degree. there are a lot ofjobs here but it's difficult to find one with decent money. You could also opt to come out on tourist visa and teach illegally and get a good salary, particularly in Beijing. You can change your visa status later and become legal.
Another option is to come to a big city in China and do your CELTA course here (whilst you teach English part time to pay for it). I believe it's a lot cheaper doing it here than in the UK or Australia.
Mark-O

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Marcoregano and Combchick for the sound advice. Both of you have suggested feasible options.

I agree with what Marcoregano says, as it seems from others and job advertisements that prior experience is essential for working in HK. I guess I'll just have to push back the plans to working in HK so soon - but in a few years time I see no reason to give it a try.

I am still thinking of the PGCE {By the way, thanks for clearing up the PDGE/PGCE thing for me!}. I've been pleasantly surprised by some of my local universities. Upon making enquiries, some of them will actually allow me to take a PGCE in English, regardless of the fact I have a science degree. With this flexibility then it's worth considering. As you say, once I have it then it will be transferrable to anywhere in the world and will provide me with great training and experience. Not to mention the fact that it will be a valuable bargaining chip for work visas in other countries.

I'd just like to say how impressed I am with everyone who has been involved in helping me out with this - as a newbie to Dave's then this is very encouraging! Cheers everyone.
Mark-O

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with PGCE's and employment?

My main concern is how tightly would I be niched by taking a PGCE course in Primary teaching (for upper years 5-11)?

A poster mentioned that a Secondary PGCE holds greater flexibility for teaching all ages? Again, does anyone have any direct or indirect experience with this issue?

Thankyou.
Sweet Zombie Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HONESTY WANTED PLEASE... Reply with quote

Bertrand wrote:
Most decent employers here refuse to recognise distance courses or part-time courses so I would only do full-time, on campus courses.

Now why exactly is this? I mean, if the degree is from a reputable university, why should it matter if is distance, or even more bafflingly, part time? Shocked Distance degrees are just as valid as any other degree, some universities here in Australia, such as the University of New England, make distance teaching among their highest priorities.

Where exactly did you get this information from? Is anyone else able to verify this claim? Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: