Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

single non-white woman in Morocco?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid eh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: single non-white woman in Morocco? Reply with quote

Hey all, had been planning on going to Morocco with my boyfriend this fall but we've broken up. Thoughts on going there on my own anyways as a single woman, and whether being South Asian would make things more (or less) difficult? (born and raised in Canada though) Was looking at Rabat because of availability of teaching jobs there. Would appreciate any advice, thanks.
makki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kid Eh,

I'm moving to Rabat to teach in September. I haven't taught there before, but I've spent a total of about 4 months travelling there previously. As a women travelling alone I never encountered any problems. It attracted a lot of (often unwanted) attention, but this never felt threatening - just occasionally irritating!

As for being South Asian, I don't think this would make any difference at all, and definitely not in a negative way. There were plenty of people from all over Asia when I was there - often travelling alone too. As long as you are female and are heard speaking English, I think you will attract the same amount of curiosity! You will also encounter many many kind people, and I found I got to know people there a lot better through travelling alone.

As for living and teaching there - I don't know yet, but feel free to contact me for info as I get it. Maybe I'll see you out there!

I'll be new to teaching there too, so if anyone has any info or advice it would be much appreciated!
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t think you have to worry. I used to work with a woman from Pakistan who had an American husband. She had studied at an American university and taught at the ALC in Rabat.
alaskanlute

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: No Way! Reply with quote

Alone! No... you will get more attention than you want. Backpacking? Package tour? Also depends on where you are going... I lived there and know a handful of girls who were groped, grabbed and harrassed. Go with someone! ~Alaskanlute
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Single in Morocco Reply with quote

It is extremely safe in Moroccoo, especially in Rabat. I lived there as a single woman for 8 years, no problem. It is much safer than the US.
tina20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old topic since it's relevant to my situation now.

I've been offered a job in Casa...accommodation covered and 21K dirham.
But like the OP, I'm a single, non-white, South Asian female who would be travelling & living alone. How safe is Casa (and Rabat) for women nowadays?

I would also like to travel to places of interest nearby...are there ways to do that without attracting too much attention?
jaffa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a lot of time working in the travel industry throughout Morocco and, yes, you will get hassled. Men as well as women. The more youthful you are, the more so. I used passive aggression to get rid of them but for a woman I'm not sure if that's a good idea. If you are in a place with other people around, a firm "GET LOST" or similar will do, but it can be persistent and a loss of face is heavily embedded in the local culture.

Despite the harassment it is a great country with plenty of sights to visit and clubs and societies to keep you occupied. It used to be reasonably tolerant of other religions but that has changed with a rise in fundamentalism throughout the Arab/Islamic world.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tina20 wrote:
I'm a single, non-white, South Asian female who would be travelling & living alone. How safe is Casa (and Rabat) for women nowadays?

Do an Internet search on lonely planet morocco women for useful info for women travelers.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Hel, hel=go away, go away!...Arabic 101. Smile
jaffa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Hel, hel=go away, go away!...Arabic 101. Smile

Eh?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Libyan dialect....means literally...go home....you could say nafek or um nayek too......here anyways.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That salary is pretty good. I think it is easier to be a single woman in Morocco than other Arab countries, from what I have heard.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I think it is easier to be a single woman in Morocco than other Arab countries, from what I have heard.

A very broad assumption considering the Arab world consists of 22 countries in the Mid East and North Africa.
tina20

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Unfortunately, I've had to decline the offer due to a family emergency back home. Sad
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I worked in Morocco twice.
If you consider other Arab countries, you could make a case for Tunisia or maybe Jordan but other Arab countries are more conservative.
Morocco has been influenced by Spain and France, and its geographical position has influenced its culture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: