Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

arriving in Cairo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
judy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: arriving in Cairo Reply with quote

I have read that if you bring electrical goods (TV, DVD etc) into Cairo you are made to pay heavy taxes. Is this correct? What about my personal laptop, my camera? I mean what is the rule there for household and personal stuff? What can you bring in without paying duty?
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you've been told about the taxes on electronics is true to a degree. When you arrive, will you be entering on a visitor's visa? I ask because that might eliminated issues with your laptop and camera. Tourists are not taxed on such items. Even while working there, I always started my stay on a tourist visa, so I didn't have issues taking my laptop into the counry. Hair dryers and the like are fine. If you're bringing in a DVD player, cordless phones, etc. it's quite possible that they will try to charge you. Often times, the man asking the questiosn is less concerned with foreigners and more concerned with nationals. They will typically feel around the bag to see if you have boxed items in there. In a carry on over my shoulder, I once took in a small CD/Radio/Cassette player, a hair dryer, and a dvd player (all out of their boxes). As he pushed away on my packed luggage asking if I had any electronics 'in there', I smiled sweetly and shook my head. Wasn't exactly a lie...Electronics of a good brand in Egypt are not cheap, but I do think the combination of potential customs tax and incompatible power make buying most of them there a more sensible option.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Also.... Reply with quote

Will you be taking lots of DVDs from the US? If so, you'll need that US DVD compatible player. Machines bought over their don't always play American DVDs (you have to buy a special kind of player) and American DVD players rarely play European/Non-North American DVDs. Confused? It is a pain sometimes. TV? I don't think it's workth taking.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect to pay duty if you bring electronics in. If you bring your laptop and camera as carry-on, that shouldn't cause charges. Are you sure that your TV and DVD will work there? Are they compatible with the system or multi-system? If I recall correctly, they use Secam.

I didn't pay anything for four large suitcases of clothes, kitchen things, and teaching materials. I brought it all with me on my flight the first time. (used a shipping company the second time and my employer handled the arrival...)

Personally I would get rid of as much as possible and simplify the move... The system in customs can be unpleasantly complicated, and whether it will affect you is unpredictible.

VS
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple is always better, VS. The laptop and camera will come in handy. Having carried a video player halfway around the world in my younger years, I don't recommend it. What a pain...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I tried to carry a VCR with me in my luggage, someone along the line 'inspected' it (probably to see if it was worth stealing... it wasn't). They broke the suitcase lock... took it out of its protective packing... and then just threw it back on the top of the soft sided bag. Needless to say, it didn't even turn on, no less play a video again. Crying or Very sad (and both airlines involved - United and Kuwait Air - insisted that they didn't do such things and refused to accept a claim...)

Definitely take the laptop and camera... I wouldn't include those under the definition of life simplification... they are necessities. Cool

VS
judy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your help Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, every bit helps. I am not from US but from Europe though but I presume it is the same for all foreigners.
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't waste my time bringing too much stuff. It's a pain to carry all of that around.

I brought a hair dryer, laptop, and a couple of cameras and I wasn't even asked about them.

However, I had to have a new power cord sent to me from the US, Fedex and I had to pay about $20.00 USD before they would give it to me, so avoid having things sent to you if you can.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Madhouse...

You made it! How is it going so far? Is the culture shock getting tolerable? How many times have you stumbled on the sidewalks? Laughing Summer in Alex can be hot, humid, and crowded... I hope that you are coping.

Have you found Sekhmet and our other posters yet?

Is the word 'maalish' becoming a part of your life? Cool

VS
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello VS!

Yes, I found Sekhmet, but no one else. The culture shock wasn't so bad, the worst thing is trying to cross the Corniche. It's just like the old Atari game "Frogger". I thought for sure i was going to get killed the first night, but it is an art form that I am learning. The problem is you only have 1 life, so there is no room for error!

I have wild, curly hair and sometimes kids follow me and call me Shakira, I can be seen from 1/2 mile away I think, so I do believe I AM the culture shock!

I have tripped several times, but I saw one woman lose her shoe running across the Corniche! There's no going back for that!

The thing I miss most is homogenized, pasteurized milk and Oreo cookies.

I was in Cairo last weekend and it is sweltering compared to Alex. The weather here isn't really bothering me at all since I live right next to the sea. I found that I don't need an alarm clock either since the flies wake me up every morning.

I also do believe I have a lovely parasite living in my stomach right now. I named him Fred. He doesn't know it but I am going to have him evicted in a few days. Maalish!!!!

Sorry, I'm kind of babbling but I have to run! Things should slow down in about two weeks and I'll be able to finally relax!

Talk to you soon!
Madhouse
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Fred and the Minx... what a pair... Reply with quote

Well, everyone needs a pet, and Fred sounds like an interesting choice. Shocked Crossing roads is definitely a skill, but one consolation is that the drivers are not trying to kill you as they are in some European cities like say Athens. Soon you be doing it with the panache of the Egyptians. Seriously, the trick is to try to always cross with others. Truly a time to 'walk like an Egyptian' - they have years of practice at it...

I can relate to missing the fresh milk. It did show up every once in awhile in Cairo, but not dependably. What I found to be tolerable on cereal was the UHT skim milk. I still use the full cream or 2% here in the US for my tea - because it tastes like whipping cream but is low fat!! And I have to order it from the Parmalat factory in New Jersey.

VS
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's exactly how I got started. I'd wait until someone else was going to cross, and then I "shadowed" them to the other side.

Yesterday I crossed with 2 families, so there were about ten of us, we were like a herd of cattle and we actually managed to stop traffic. It was great!

I'm thinking of doing some travelling into some neighboring countries with some other people next week for about a month if I can afford it. Might as well make the most out of being here!

Madhouse
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!! Syria and Jordan are great... Lebanon is a bit more expensive.

Have you finished the course?

Are you taking Fred?

VS
madhouseminx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Fred will have to come. I will finish the course on Thursday, so we are leaving after that.

I think we are planning on going to Syria, Jordan, Israel, and Lebanon, just do the backpacking thing for a month.

I'm glad you think Syria is good, I wasn't sure about that one.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan (and especially Petra) is great, but I think Syria is by far the best of the group you have chosen... (of course, depends on your interests)

Do you plan to stay and work in Egypt, or will you add job searching to your travels? (quite a good idea actually) Damascus is a possibility.

I hope Fred doesn't get cranky when he travels...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: