Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well-traveled is probably right, but that said, HCT is famous for the vagaries of their employment system. If I were the original poster, even though she had received the message 'don't call us, we'll call you,' I would think the running of a new ad would be an opening for a polite inquiry.

As to the job being a 'life-enhancing experience' - for some perhaps it is? I'm not sure that I would use the term for my experience even though it was positive. Smile HCT is a pretty large organization that is top-heavy in management, so the bureaucracy does get many people down. (and it is all Westerners that seem to cause the over-management headaches - can't blame this one on the notorious Middle East government bureaucracies) Some people are bothered by that, some aren't. There are colleges with good people to work with and some that aren't. Anyone who reads the Job Information section here on Dave's can see some of the stories. One particular college has had many problems over the years, and in a system this large, there are going to be some personality conflicts. It is all part of working for a living.

But, the money and benefits are great. The women students, in particular, were a joy to work with. And if one has patience with often demanding, but 'usually' not vicious management, it can be a great place to spend a few years.

VS
hmbaba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Not sure about anywhere else but in the UAE the recruitment and processing process can be very lengthy. People are interviewed, then refs are checked and degrees are verified (yes, Universities are contacted to verify qualifications), then there could be a security check, etc., etc. This is all VERY a slow process. And, these different processes might be done by different departments who don't necessarily communicate with each other. The recruiters don't know how many of the people they selected will get the final rubber stamp to be offered a job, so they keep on advertising. Hiring criteria can change overnight, i.e., new criteria can be enforced which the recruiters didn't know about at the time of interview.
Other places here have a year round recruitment program.
Also, places suddenly win a contract to provide a certain course and get the budget for the course, so they need teachers. They may in fact still be waiting for the budget to be approved for the regular courses they offer, so if you have been selected for the regular course, you may still be waiting subject to budget approval.
Also, the priority for places is to get teachers - the low priority is to tell people they have been rejected at a later stage for some reason.
Re HCT, it usually all comes right in the end, but it might be July before you know - provided you are who and what you say you are and your record is clean, then probably you'll be definitely hired - they are often scrambling to find people in August as suddenly the budget has come thru', but people have given up on them and gone elsewhere...
Best advice: Call them - quote your ref number, try to find out the status quo - try to contact the people who interviewed you or people at your designated college and see if they can help. And, keep looking for other possibilities, just in case...
(I speak from experience - i was hired by HCT, but when in June the budget hadn't come thru', I went elsewhere - and then in July the budget was approved... This is a common tale over here in the UAE.)
max

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the HCT notify you if you haven't been short-listed? I applied over a month ago, and haven't heard a word. Is this normal?
serafina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: HCT Reply with quote

it's normal not to hear anything for ages. I had forgotten about applying almost 8 months before I was contacted for an interview. Once the interviews have been conducted, things move quite fast - relatively speaking. It's really a waiting game from start to appointment.
guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Sorry to sound nosy, but what is the salary at HCT? I have a masters in education , Grad.Dipl in Appl. LING. plus over 10 years experience teaching (5 years ESL).
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intereviewed with them at the TESOL conference in Abu Dhabi two years ago and they were not willing to divulge much.
Salary seems to be top secret.
Try asking at the interview about the salary and they will not let you know.
They say it depends on a number of factors but when you push them they will not give you any criteria.
Check the website for the range.
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is HCT's policy towards Distance MA's? Do they accept them like the campus ones?
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started a thread asking the same question re Distance MAs in the Emirates - take a look from it.

The response was quite mixed.
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cleo, that was a helpful thread. I'm still not sure what HCT's policy is about a distance MA.
well-travelled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people teaching at HCT don't have an MA at all. You can be accepted with a BA plus teaching certifcate & relevant experience. If you have an MA, whether distance or otherwise, it may increase your chances of being accepted of course......

well-travelled
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCT? BA + definitely lots of BS!!!

Very Happy

TH
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HCT? BA + definitely lots of BS!!!

TH What do you mean by that?
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gordon

Until now, I was pretty certain that the initials 'BS' had international currency. We see it everyday in politicians, lawyers, managers, sales people, accountants, administrators, etc... HCT has pretty much made it their motto....

..... Brrrrrrrrilliant Skills!!

Duh?

TH
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what BS means. Maybe I should make myself more clear. I mean BS in what way? The way they run things?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: