Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClarkP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Looking for Advice Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in an unsatisfying office job and looking to try something new. I've been reading this board for a while now and am looking for a little helpful advice.

First off, info about myself:
I'm 24 year old male American.

I have a bachelor’s degree from William and Mary in VA. Does where you get your degree from make a difference in hiring/salary at all?

I have about a year's experience teaching in a private high school, I've tutored people in Latin during college, and I've had a little experience with teaching smaller children.

I don't have any formal TEFL certification but am considering signing up for the CERTA.

From your experiences, what kind of job in what countries could I probably get?

My preferences/questions:
1) I would like to minimize my actual classroom hours. Anything more than 20-24 seems hellish to me. I'd like to avoid the split shifts/weekend work, etc.

2) The more vacation time the better. Obviously! Is two weeks pretty much standard throughought asia?

3) I certainly don't feel the need to save a whole lot, nor do I have any financial burdens except for feeding/clothing myself. I do like to go out and travel but by no means carry on an extravagant lifestyle.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards Thailand. I'm a very laid-back individual and from what I've read their outlook on life appeals to me. This said, I'm in no way a lazy person. Anything I do, I do to my utmost ability.

Well assuming any of you has gotten this far, would you agree that Thailand seems my best fit? If not feel free to convince me to go elsewhere!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a bachelor’s degree from William and Mary in VA. Does where you get your degree from make a difference in hiring/salary at all?

In Japan, not really.

Quote:
what kind of job in what countries could I probably get?

In Japan, you qualify to teach in any language conversation school (eikaiwa) and on the JET Program.

Quote:
I would like to minimize my actual classroom hours. Anything more than 20-24 seems hellish to me.

Standard work hours for Japanese eikaiwas are 25 to 30 classroom hours per week. Classes could be 50-90 minutes long. Considering you have little experience, I would say that you will need lots of preparation time on top of that, too. To say that working in a classroom more than 20 hours a week is hellish sounds rather naive, if you don't mind me saying so, especially for someone as young as yourself. I mean, what did you expect to do the other 20 (in order to make a full-time work week)?

Quote:
The more vacation time the better. Obviously! Is two weeks pretty much standard throughought asia?

In Japan, you should expect to get about 12 national holidays per year, plus roughly a week in spring, a week or less in August, and a week or two around Christmas and New Year. Being able to take time off that you can designate is fairly rare. You are stuck with the holidays given to you.

Quote:
I certainly don't feel the need to save a whole lot, nor do I have any financial burdens except for feeding/clothing myself. I do like to go out and travel but by no means carry on an extravagant lifestyle.

In Japan, you can expect to save about 70,000 yen/month on an average salary of 250,000 yen/month with a moderate lifestyle (going out twice a week, for example). A former colleague of mine worked for years in Thailand and said he made / saved much less than that working full-time.
Roger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know the situation in Thailand, but am fairly acquainted with China.

Here, public schools might offer you what you are looking for - 20 contact periods a week, and considerably more than two weeks of holidays a year.
Pay is between 4000 and 8000 RMB, plus perks; the money is take-home money.
China is not like Thailand, though - less laid-back though as retro in some aspects as any Asian country. The nice locations are in the poorer regions,and those have few, and sometimes zero, posts for Westerners! Look out for a job in Hainan Island or Guangxi province; else Guangdong, Fujian and the Eastern coast have the most jobs and pay the highest salaries or wages though they offer the least in terms of scenery and indigenous traditional culture.
You will have to hurry as the schools are hiring right now; first week of October is this term's first holiday season. Next time around when they are likely to take you on board would be in February, for the second term through to July.

Private training centres pay better (sometimes), but offer only minimum holidays, and you often work on weekends, with one or two days off during the week.

SInce you have studied a second language I think you have excellent chances of becoming a good TEFLer!
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Advice Reply with quote

I live and work in Mexico, have for years, so my answers reflect my experience in Mexico. I previously worked in Japan, but someone more qualified to answer has already hit that country so these answers are just about Mexico.

ClarkP wrote:

William and Mary may be prestigious within the US, but if you didn't go to Harvard, MIT, Yale, or Stanford the rest are pretty much all the same abroad. In Mexico people are much more likely to have heard of schools with big sports programs (Michigan) than anyplace else.

ClarkP wrote:

From your experiences, what kind of job in what countries could I probably get?

You could get any number of jobs in Language Institutes, chains such as Berlitz, The Wall Street Institute, or Harmon Hall.

ClarkP wrote:

1) I would like to minimize my actual classroom hours. Anything more than 20-24 seems hellish to me. I'd like to avoid the split shifts/weekend work, etc.

Here you could find jobs that gave you as little as 1 hour a day, but then the pay would just about cover your lunch. Razz

ClarkP wrote:

2) The more vacation time the better. Obviously! Is two weeks pretty much standard throughought asia?

There'd not likely be any "vacation time" so you'd just quit when you felt the urge to travel Smile

ClarkP wrote:

3) I certainly don't feel the need to save a whole lot, nor do I have any financial burdens except for feeding/clothing myself. I do like to go out and travel but by no means carry on an extravagant lifestyle.

Like I said, work 1 hour pay for lunch, dinner and breakfast are light meals in Mexico so 40 pesos an hour would actually cover all 3 meals, to pay your rent and other incidentals you'd probably have to make at least 4000 pesos a month, work 100 hours a month, or 25 hours a week. There are jobs that pay more, the CELTA would help you land thoses, but you could also land them with luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: