Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the UAE family-friendly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhijaouy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Are the UAE family-friendly? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm an ESL educator contemplating a long-term move to the UAE. I have a master's degree in TESOL and have taught for two years in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I currently teach at a high school in California. The following are my questions:

1. Do UAE employers pick up the tab for the education of their western employees' children (I have two children ages 2 and 5)?
2. Are the schools accredited, and do some follow the American system?
3. Which Emirati cities offer the best balance of a safe family environment and fun activities for the children?
4. Which universities should I then be contacting, and what is their reputation like?

Thanks to one and all for your timely input.
Pat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions, briefly:

1. Do UAE employers pick up the tab for the education of their western employees' children (I have two children ages 2 and 5)?
I can only speak for the HCT, so that means they pay the first 40,000 Dhs for the first two children 5 and older - ie compulsory education. That covers all the fees in most Emirates, especially for primary and middle schools. High schools, particulary in Dubai can exceed this, especially at American Curriculum schools. But the standard of education is quite high.

2. Are the schools accredited, and do some follow the American system?
Yes and yes.
3. Which Emirati cities offer the best balance of a safe family environment and fun activities for the children?
Personal preference here. I'm an urban dweller and Dubai suits my family and I very well. I don't camp in the desert, nor do I sleep at the beach, both of which can be done from Dubai or any other Emirate. If you want totake the kids bowling, to movies, camping, to beaches, try some nice restaurants, etc., and all with convenience, Dubai is probably best, with Abu Dhabi second. If you want to be a bit mor elaid back, slower paced and save a bit more cash, other Emirtaes may serve you better. Basically, city life and small town life are available.
4. Which universities should I then be contacting, and what is their reputation like?
UAE University, HCT, MLI, PI and ZU are all good places, from what I hear. I can only vouch for the HCT.

Good luck
JCMach1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: American University Sharjah is WONDERFUL Reply with quote

on all counts mentioned above. There are almostly always slots in the Intensive English program in the Spring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCMach1,

Is a Masters required to teach at AUS?
How is it going so far?
JCMach1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
JCMach1,

Is a Masters required to teach at AUS?
How is it going so far?

It is going quite well.

All people in IEP and the English Department now hold Masters degrees.

It is a really great job if you can get on here. Also, because of its placement in University City, it is relatively easy for spouses to find work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: