Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relocating from Mexico

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dduck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Relocating from Mexico Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

First off, I'm a Brit and I'm considering moving back to Europe to find work. What are the prospects of finding work at a language school in late October? Also, what are the current regulations for a European to work in Spain, if any? I know I'm pushing my luck, but what are the best places to work?

All advice welcome.

�Saludos!
Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Relocating to Spain Reply with quote

Ah, a fresh injection of Celtic blood!
Iain, there's plenty of work in Madrid. Late October is early in the academic year, so I can't see any problem there. No problems either with residence being that you're one of HM's subjects. Bring plenty of warm clothes for winter because it gets bitterly cold here.
International House has a good reputation.
Why do you want to leave Mexico? I'd give my eye teeth to work there!
All the best.
Graham.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Plenty of work Reply with quote

There's plenty of work in Barcelona too. Most Americans I've met so far seem to have found work too so it should be no problem for you, you should be able to pick and choose.
dduck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the positive feedback! If you don't mind me asking what are the working conditions like in Madrid and Barcelona? Class sizes, working hours, pay rates, bar prices, you get the idea. Wink Also, how long have you both been working there?

I'm from Dundee, where abouts you from Graham?

Why do I want to leave Mexico? That's a long answer, one that I can do best over a beer. Smile The very short answer is that I'm coming to the end of my tourist visa (never managed to get a working permit) so I'm forced to leave the country. As my current job pays less than 3 euros per hour, I really don't feel like spending another 24 hour bus trip back to Queretaro. I've been thinking about what to do next, so far Spain is in the lead. I loved Seville, the food, the music, the atmosphere, the girls, the latin spirit. In truth, I thought that Latin America would be more like Spain. Rancheros came as bit of a shock! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Relocating from Mexico Reply with quote

Iain, I'm from Elgin. Been here three years.
Not sure about hourly rates, as my only job here until now has been with the dreaded Berlitz in Madrid, earning 820 Euros net a month and spending 14 hours a day out of the house. Finally doing a CELTA course to get a better job!
Class sizes 12 students maximum (I'm sure there are exceptions!)
There are plenty of people looking for private classes and you can charge 15-20 Euros an hour.
Beer cheap unless you go to an Irish bar - a complete rip-off.
Accommodation is expensive, so I recommend you find someone to share with.
Let me know if I can be of further help.
All the best.
Graham.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester but been here for 10 years.
The cheapest I heard 8 euros hour ( only Berlitz I think), but the normal is 10-15hour. Of course it depends if they pay you cash or give you a contract.
Most schools can't find more than 5-10 students for each class.
Many flats for share in Barcelona ( check compartir piso.es, I think) and also same as Madrid stay away from Irish-British pubs, there's a very nice area in Barcelona, Gracia where most people buy drinks in supermarkets and just sit around and drink them. Menus in BCN are around 7 euros for quite a good meal.
dduck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Your help is much appreciated.

Gramham, is that 3 years with Berlitz? You haven't turned loco after so much time? I'm interested to know how you've been getting on there. I've heard so much about the school, but most of it is just rumours.

Another job possibility in Mexico has turned up, so I'm not sure if I'll be leaving now or not. I'll keep you posted Smile

Iain
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Berlitz Reply with quote

Yes, I spent three years with Berlitz (note the past tense). I think I was half-crazy before joining them.
Apart from the wages and the outdated materials and the long hours I quite enjoyed it. At least they paid regularly.
Seriously though, you'll find better if you shop around.
All the best.
Graham.
dduck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I heard they don't take trained teachers. Their methodology, it's alledged, would drive trained teachers round the bend. Wink

Iain
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Berlitz Reply with quote

Personally, I found the salary and timetable more annoying than the famous Method. I thought 39 contact hours was a lot, but one of my friends was doing 48 at one point, with travelling time on top. Then they wonder why they have such a high staff turnover. Duuuuhhh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: