Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New phone-line cost?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Define adapter Reply with quote

Ange,

When you say adapter, do you mean you need an existing line (inactive) in the house? Or are you talking about a PC card for the connection to the computer?

Last edited by TokyoLiz on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Ange

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need for ADSL is this:

1. An existing phone line. NTT will connect this to the ADSL service (with the Yahoo BB deal I got there was no charge for this - not sure if this is so with other companies).

2. Your computer may need a PC card or not depending on how old it is (my computer is an old MAC and the PC card I needed cost 2500 yen).

3. You also need an adapter which is different from the PC card. This is rented by BB for 500 yen a month. Or as I said you can buy one for around 15,000 yen from an electronics shop (there are more expensive ones and a couple of cheaper ones but what you need completely depends on what computer you have).

The only thing when signing up for Yahoo is this: nobody in the shops seems to know what is going on. I asked four different people and got four different responses about what I need. The installation CD is in Japanese but I found that I didnt need to use the CD to connect. If you decide to sign for Yahoo make sure that you write everything in katakana and the owner of the phoneline in their Kanji or else the process will be delayed.

I got Yahoo installed in November and didnt pay anything until February. As I said the cost is about 3300 yen per month. If you want to get Yahoo and have problems or questions about installing it drop me a private message and I can help as I spent weeks talking to people that know nothing before just figuring it out myself.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add to Ange's post, that adaptor is a box the size of a portable CD player. It is connected to your phone outlet, and then to a cable which connects to your computer.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ange wrote

Quote:
What you need for ADSL is this:

1. An existing phone line. NTT will connect this to the ADSL service...

That's what I was asking about...So, you're saying you must already purchase or rent a phone line before you can connect ADSL service? Where I'm coming from, cable, dial-up or t1 are the most common connections. All this is new to me, so perhaps I'm asking idiot questions here. I had assumed that ADSL would side-step the need for an NTT phone line.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,

Due respect to Dave's ESL Cafe, but you should really check out www.gaijinpot.com at this specific address to ask questions about computers and such. Nice FAQ, too. I think you can hook up an Internet connection without a telephone in your home. Ask the people who haunt that forum.

http://www.gaijinpot.com/isps.php#adsl
Ange

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure for ADSL that you HAVE to have a phone line. ADSL is basically a higher frequency signal that goes through the same phone line which is what allows you to talk on the phone while using the net (very convenient!). Laughing Cable I dont know about sorry.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this link for NTT, and you'll see that you do NOT need a phone to have an ADSL setup. As I stated in my last message, this info was taken from www.gaijinpot.com, the section on computers.

http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/product_e/guidebook/5/index.html
azarashi sushi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoLiz... So you like sushi huh?

How about getting a mobile phone and cable for your internet. At least with cable you get TV aswell as internet... Set up is maybe a bit pricey ... might cheaper in Chiba... anyway, a lot cheaper than 70 000 for a new phone line... Worth it in the long run I think. I pay 7000 per month for TV and internet.

A.S.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks heaps! Reply with quote

Glenski, Azarashi Sushi et al., thanks for the info. I'll certainly check out the cable and ADSL options. I just had a look at the link Glenski sent - lots to check out, thx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: