Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Information Journal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Job Information Journal Reply with quote

Hi,
taken a look at the JIJ recently? someone's done a pretty severe hatchet job on International House ..
Snegurochka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed! Isn't it just another unhappy 'marriage' that simply didn't work out? Crying or Very sad
flyingfish2004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: IH Reply with quote

How about IH in Ukraine? Any comments?

ruslan
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well whaddaya know , it disappeared... Rolling Eyes
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: I.H.B.K.C.. ETC. Reply with quote

HI FOLKS!
I know I've been absent for a while,mainly due to the fact that I had to bring my son here to York in the U.K. where he has just started a foundation course,but of course I haven't forgotten Russia.All it requires is a bit of investigation to see that with the economic boom in Moscow,due to high prices for oil and natural rresorces on the world market,prices for rents and other general livng have shot-up this year,making the paltry salaries offered by most of the big schools,even more unacceptable than before!Many Russians in Moscow now earn much more than 500$ per month,so don't believe their hype about this being a "middle-class" wage etc.If you take up their offer,you will end-up not only scraping by on poor quality food etc,but also probably having to share a crummy appartment in some miserable suburb,AND have to spend several hours a day travelling around on the metro/buses because your split shifts involve working miles away from where you live!
But it is pointless just blaming the schools themselves,as they continue to find gullible "cannon-fodder" to work for them and keep their machinery turning!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Poverty in TEFL Reply with quote

What Maruss says here about Russia applies to most countries. TEFL jobs are poorly paid and there is a seemingly endless stream of newbies happy to work for subsistence wages. Greece, Italy, Spain, France.

Look at the labour market in London for EFL teachers. Unless you are in one of the Arab oil states or Japan, taking a job in TEFL is sentencing yourself to poverty. Why not go all the way and take vows of chastity and obedience as well ?
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot,

Even as a REAL teacher, qualified with a Degree or PGCE and working in the State system, teachers are underpaid and exploited.

You know it.

I know it.

What we get from what we do is CHOICE, the ability to go where we want when we want - even when we have our wives and kids with us.

(That's NOT the Royal "WE", by the way - I only have one wife, but numerous kids)
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: knowing what you're worth Reply with quote

Hello good people:

Yep ... I have to agree with Rogan. EFL is all about freedom. Freedom to travel and to explore the world firsthand - not the world as seen through a TV set.

Outside the world of EFL, very few jobs these days afford people this opportunity ... this luxury of getting paid to see the world. I get goose bumps when I think about my old classmates back home in the USA, falling asleep in their cubicles, watching the pennies accumulate in their IRA accounts. For what? So that one day ... when they're too old to enjoy it ... they'll be able to afford to travel around the world like I'm doing now. Cool

EFL teachers won't get rich in most countries these days. But we live free. It's a trade-off.

Those who work for the money usually end up in the Middle East, but there's a trade-off there as well, since many of the freedoms we enjoy and take for granted here in Russia (i.e. good, cheap vodka, skimpy summertime bikinis & listening to satanic music Twisted Evil ) would be grounds for imprisonment in a country like Saudi Arabia.

Maruss (a.k.a. Martin) is right, of course, when he laments the generally poor EFL wages in Moscow, and the willingness of many well-intentioned people to accept poor contract terms. No argument from me on that one. As long as people continue to accept low salaries & dodgy contracts, school managers will continue to offer them. As dear old Nancy Reagan said many years ago, it's perfectly okay 'to just say no' when faced with a bad deal.

There *are* schools in Russia today offering decent salaries and fair contracts, but these job offers won't just fall into your lap because you carry an Anglophone passport. There's competition in this field like any other.

The moral of the story: Don't come to Russia as an EFL teacher with the goal of saving money for early retirement. Do your homework with regard to cost-of-living & salaries; ask the right questions of your future employer; talk to people who know the score ... and then negotiate a contract that reflects your qualifications, abilities & experience while taking into account the market salaries of your host country.

For example: Do you have a degree? Is it a BA in Pakistani Tribal Medicine, or an MA in Applied Linguistics? Do you speak the language of your host country? How long have you been teaching English? Are you a certified teacher in your home country? What do your references look like? Have you worked in a position of management? If so, would your former colleagues speak highly of you? Have your skills at XYZ school enhanced the school's reputation and/or financial position? Have your skills in the classroom resulted in improved test scores of your students? What percentage of your students have renewed their contracts with you as their teacher? Do you know the difference between a gerund and a gerbil?

The notion that 'one salary fits all' ... just because we speak the same language ... is just a bit too simplistic for me.

Know what you're worth, and then go and get it. Razz

Best wishes,
keNt
maruss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Thanks Kent! Reply with quote

I couldn't have said it better-or even as well!But guys like me and Rogan have "baggage" of various kinds(although let's face it,we would be lost without it!)
I guess that says it all!

M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: