Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mens dress in Cairo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoth1972

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend at Sakkara said 'preparatory' is high school. If you've got patience and a strong classroom presence, go for it. If not, then put your foot down and tell them you won't teach it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with knowing levels is that they tend to mix and match various education systems terminology... and you have things like Cairo American "College" which is not a 'college' by any stretch of the imagination, but is a US K-12 system.

I'd tell them that I was interested iin grades 6 through 9 or whatever your choice is. Teaching grades 10-12 takes a tough experienced teacher in Cairo... Laughing

VS
jonnyidaho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding flats, advice taken. My wife's been looking (She's got a pretty good pre-intermediate arabic from studying at AUC a couple years back) and most of what she's found thus far is a bit, er, dingy. She finally found something on par with her standards (which are, by the way, a bit higher than mine), and it was 3000 LE. This would be almost a full SLS salary! I passed along stoth's locale suggestions, though, and hope to here better news this weekend.

As for class levels, 6-9 sounds like it's definitely for me. I had trouble with a classroom of 15-16 year old female thais, and I'm fairly certain from the sounds of it that Cairene high schoolers would eat me alive!
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 3000 sounds a bit below the going rate for a Shell employee's flat, but not typically the ones that average teachers can afford. There is a lot of 'adjusting' necessary for living in Cairo...that or a thicker wallet. Honestly, I would not have spent 3000 (though 1500 between you and spouse), but that's my resistance to being the overcharged foreigner.

Don't be afraid to bargain a bit...and don't let on that you really like it. Remember, those 'agents' (doormen and such) are taking a cut of the rent. It's quite possible that 3000 LE is really 2000 and someone is being cheeky.

If you don't like the way it looks but feel it's a bit dull, offer to buy the paint (and hire someone to paint it). You might get a cheaper rent. Owners also want someone they know will take good care of the place, and that shows good will if you're willing to do a bit of the work.

The fixtures of most flats in Cairo are pretty 'unspecial' compared to what you might be used to. I was always unimpressed with the showers, toilets, sinks, and such. And the furniture? DOn't let that ruin your perception. The furniture is ugly, at best, and usually synthetic (I recommend getting your own mattress). You can always cover the gaudy sofas.

My friend had a cute place not far from CAC (actually, just across from the GReen Mill-great for breakfast): 2 bdr, 1 1/2 bath, washer AND DRYER (never happens), and she paid 1700 LE. Those places do exist: you just need to dig a bit more. They're also on the edge of that New Nerco/Maadi Digla border I mentioned (Road 233 is the beginning of cheaper rent and Nerco). If you look at places just backing up to 233 on the side of Road 206 and CAC, i think you might find some decent places for less than 2000. Good luck!
jonnyidaho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to my wife (feels very strange using that term), and she had just finished looking in New Maadi. She is much more optimistic now, apparently found a great 2 bdrm for 2500 and hopes to bargain down a bit. She'll look more tomorrow and hopefully be in somewhere by next week. She's getting help from Egyptian friends of colleagues. now just a matter of finding myself work . . .
stoth1972

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... Good Luck!! there are gems hidden around, but it often takes a lot of legwork to find them. And you just may end up changing flats at the end of the first year as you learn more about the lay of the land...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: