Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This December, Why Not Moscow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: This December, Why Not Moscow? Reply with quote

My employer here is Saudi is going to force me to take a week of vacation before the end of the year.

So talk me out of Moscow (or Saint Petersburg).

Seriously, I do not like cold weather. How brutal is it?

I am not too interested in Russian culture or historical sites (I know, I am a mere tourist). I want to see the (in)famous Russian nightlife. How dangerous is Russia nowadays?

I am attracted to the idea of Russia because I understand it is low-cost destination. Still true?
lajzar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Moscow in March a few winters ago. The temperature lurked around freezing point then. Apparently, it gets much colder in December.

Having said that, indoor heating/insulation is top-notch in Moscow. As long as you bring your heavy winter cost (unlikely, seeing as you are in the magic kingdom), you should be fine on those brief spells outside.

Dangerous? Hardly. The Russian mafia recognises that tourists are their main source of income, and protects them accordingly Razz . They also bill them accordingly Twisted Evil
Paul in Saudi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is encouraging. Very encouraging indeed.
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try -15C.
Try so cold that your snot freezes in your nose.
Try not to walk outside too much.
Especially, try not to get lost outside at night.

Try - to find a Russian friend and get them to help you buy a coat when you get there Smile
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: ah, who's counting? Reply with quote

Oh yeah? Mr. Green

Last year on New Year's Eve it was -27C ... and that was the real temperature. None of this windchill nonsense we use back home. If you keep your head and neck warm (wool scarf & a good hat that COVERS YOUR EARS) ... and drink lots of cheap vodka ... you'll be just fine.

But seriously ... Moscow in December can be lots of fun, although I would not describe the Moscow nightlife scene as 'cheap' anymore. Nice places are expensive.

On the plus side, you can find a decent hotel in the $30 - $70 per night range. Check out the links in the Master Index (at the top of this forum) for some Hotel leads, as well as a Moscow Metro map, which will come in handy and save you lots of $$$ on taxi fares.

Safety will not be a big issue for you ... as long as you don't advertise that you are a rich EFL guy from Saudi Arabia. Razz

Have fun Exclamation
keNt
Pushok

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now live in Jeddah, but spent 5 years in Russia (3 in Moscow and 2 in St.Petes).

In terms of good nights out there is plenty to be had as long as you know the right places. For me St.Petes is the better - less chance of being ripped off and on average better nights out and cheaper.

For more info. please PM me and I'll let you know what you want.
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best nights out ?

Forget Moscow.

Don't even think about St. P.

Try Volgograd.
Visit Saratov
Spend some summertime in Samara
Avoid Togliatti
Heave to in Kazan

But STAY in Kolomna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: