Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libya costs???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonetrippen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Libya costs??? Reply with quote

Hi

I was interested in the cost of living in Libya. If I didn't have to pay for accomidations and utilities, how much would one need to ......I guess eat, since there probably is not much of a social life there? Any comments would be apprecaited. Could one live on 300dinars? 200dinars? per month
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: it depends Reply with quote

Who r u working for and I'll tell you what you need?Also,where r u and r u gonna brew?All of this matters (sugar is expensive).
Libya on less than 2000gbp a month isn't worth it.
Food is not that cheap,especially meat.Cigarettes however r cheap.Outside the major cities you'll be dependent on local street sellers who'll try and con u at every turn.I hope you like eating tinned tuna everyday and rarely meeting other Westerners.I also hope you aren't under 45.
Eni and Veba are the only good gigs there right now.Don't touch Bell,Sirte or that other joker outfit that was advertising recently for about 1000 quid a month.
I spent 2 years there.(left 2005).
U make cider out of Rauch apple juice and the beer is no prob as you can take malt into the country,(and hops).If you don't brew you will be a social lepper.
wildchild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't brew you will be a social lepper.

Please tell more! Is there an active brewing seen in North Africa?

Cheers!
tonetrippen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Youthless and hairy Reply with quote

Hi

Well, I am curious about the problem about being under 45 years of age and what great things can I expect being over 45?? Am I old enough to have a harem if I am over 45???

How do they feel about blokes having long hair in public over there. Should I get a hair cut before I get there??

Maybe someone should start up a forum heading of "Making Your Own Alcohol In Prohibitive Countries" . Just think of the recipies people could come up with.

Really interested in the hair thing.....
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: brewing and other things Reply with quote

I worked for Sirte Oil in Brega and often the field and yep there is a brewing scene.It is not illegal to take yeast,spray malt and concentrated hop juice into Libya.U will fiend all othese ingredients in a brew store and if u r in the UK the bloke in the shop will certainly have met our 'ilk ' b 4.
Remember 1 pond of malt one pound of sugar....add yeast.Put in can/churn....tighten top but loosen a little.Don't et fruit flies near the brew.Add about 4 table spoons off hop concentrate and a bit more sugar.Decant after about 2 weeks and put in a bottle with a little more sugar.2 weeks later drink and b merry.B 4 any of this make sure all utensils are clean,(u can buy sterilising powder at the brewer's).Alteratively use Rach apple juice to make cider,(using the condom technique)...takes about 2 weeks.
Over 45s paradise.I was 34.Don't expect harems bt mad ex-Gulfies who though Libya would b a better gig than Saudi.
Good luck.
tonetrippen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: hairy tale Reply with quote

So what about the hair thing. Takes 3 years to grow it and just 2 minutes to cut it, It would be a shame if I had to.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Sorry about the dodgy keyboard ystday.
In the oil company there were expats with long hair.The Libyans don't care about that sort of thing.However,an uptight expat boss might.
Who u working for?
tonetrippen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: mug busters Reply with quote

Hiya

The job fell through. It was 750 sterling a month plus 275 LD minus a gym and pool membership which I would have to have. When asked to talk to someone about living on 200LD, they never responded.

I might head over anyway. So, tell me about life over 45 there. This time can you use English??
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: life over 45 Reply with quote

If you're younger and after kicks, don't do Libya.If you are mortgaged up and need money,go to Saudi.Reading and walking will be your leisure activities.750 a month is a complete joke.200 LD /month is not ok to live on if you have to pay for your own food.
tonetrippen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, OK

That's obviously why buddy would not rerspond to me when I asked him about someone that would confirm what he said. At this point, I think, I could eat someones dirty shorts, not really, if I found an employer that actually told the truth.....But what about the paradise if one is over 45. I wanna know more bout that.
rogan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the job ad 6- St George International.

Never heard of it in all the time that I was in Tripoli.

A standard teaching salary for Libya is at least double what they are offering + NI contributions + several return trips per year.

With this post you are being taken adcantage of in a BIG way.

After a couple of walks around the Medina it all becomes very similar.
"Seen it twice. Seen it all !"

Leptis Magna and other site visits will take your local allowance payments - even using cheap shared taxis.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: paradise Reply with quote

I meant paradise in the sense that it's what grayeyard means to an elephant.....ie you go there and die,(in every sense).
Rogan has obviously been there and as he says,even the medina is a one tour done- it trip.
Libya aint that cheap either,especially once the locals get hold of you.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi Biff! You make it sound so appealing for us over-45s.Smile

However I believe the French Foreign Legion pay better, and you get a daily ration of red wine....

Bo Jest
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beau geste, SueH ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: