Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans Living/Working Abroad
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychedelic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trakblue,
Oh, I agree!!!!!! I've met some nice Canadians and Brits, but you wouldn't believe some of the stupid,rude,inappropriate and unkind comments that I've heard from other Canucks and British in Taiwan and Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The MOST disrespectful comment from a Brit was in Seoul last Summer...and he also was disrespectful towards Germans. The worst experience for me was just the other day from an OBNOXIOUS,RUDE, DUTCH, I***T TWIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: rude and obnoxious foreigners Reply with quote

I fear that Brits or Dutch or Fijians do not have a monopoly on being nasty. You ever watch a gang of North Americans ?
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Jerks and nice people Reply with quote

Jerks and nice people come in all nationalities. If anyone believes that any one nationality has a monopoly on good or bad behavior when traveling or working abroad, that person hasn't been around the block enough times.

Best wishes!
Smile
psychedelic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezza,
Have you ever lived in New York? Have you ever even been to the United States? I think your comment about it being more dangerous just standing in New York is assinine,untrue and divisive..and frankly it offends me. The fact is serious crime went WAY DOWN in New York from 1991 to 2001 before a slight increase last year. Check the statistics! In a recent poll that I read, Americans voted for New York as the third most favorite travel destination. Well, you've got all these people saying what a horrible,unsafe city the Big Apple is!!!! Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: NYC safe !???????????????? Reply with quote

Okay. Next time I am in NYC let's take a walk through Harlem at night. Then you can talk about safe. I suppose one of the thought police (sorry, moderators) will censor this posting away.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@trakblue:
As a Canadian, I find it hard to believe that most of your hostile encounters in Korea have been with Canadian teachers. What was the catalyst for these confrontations? Did you bring up a sensitive topic like the possibility of a U.S.-led war with Iraq? That topic in particular might invite a (potentially heated) debate, as such issues often do. Wink
Edward

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: living in China, an American's view Reply with quote

Great question! These troubled times�should you go abroad? I am sure your family and friends, particularly the older people around you, may think you a bit odd to go anywhere that isn�t Europe. To give you some perspective�I have been in China for nearly 1 1/2 years. When did I come? Exactly five weeks AFTER September 11, 2001! Don�t you know I got the incredulous looks from my �drinking friends� at TGIF, and I am from Texas no less!

I had been planning the trip for some time though, so concerns of �world trouble� were not so high on my list. I also had enough reassurance from posters here and at other places on the Net to feel more than secure with my choice. Mainly because China, as someone earlier on this thread had mentioned, is a relatively safe haven for foreigners, as long as you aren�t looking for trouble. If you stay out late at night, drinking with a mixed crowd in off-the-beaten-path type nightspots, then you may suffer some trouble. It is more relevant to what you do [i.e. how you behave] and where you go more than anything.

The law, in regards to foreigners being attacked or harmed is pretty stiff. China is emerging finally on the trade floor as it were, so protecting their interests also includes protecting their foreign guests. This has been in place long before the advent of inclusion to the WTO. If a Chinese citizen gets caught doing anything �untoward� to a foreigner, chances are better than not they and perhaps even family members of the perpetrator will be harshly punished.

That doesn�t mean you have free reign to go out and abuse their hospitality, as I have seen some people do. And it also doesn�t warrant going �cowboy� because you feel it is your civic duty! When you are feeling full of your American pride when you see or hear something a bit unjust, remember to swallow that pride for a few minutes, count to ten, take deep breaths, etc.�other foreigners from �other places� tend to carry rather long, dangerous knives!

I noticed someone said ��some Americans say they are Canadian, Australian,�� hey, if it comes to a situation that might get nasty, don�t get all Uncle Sam about it. Tell them you are Canadian, or Welsh�whatever it takes to save your skin. Remember earlier one person saying something about the �gang of thieves� on buses? I have seen them! They do work in groups so keep that in mind; if someone is beginning to give you trouble, regardless of where they are from, chances are there is more than one of them about. I don�t know too many guys, drunk or not, who start fights completely alone. There is always a few shadows in the background that happen to show up at the right moment.

So, is it safe in China for Americans? I can�t speak for other locations in the world, and I am not so sure about the provinces that border the Middle East here [the government is watching subversive activity in those areas�there have been reported �problems� around western XinJiang], but China and Chinese are very hospitable to their foreign guests. Hop a plane and join us!
psychedelic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albulbul,
Alright, I'll give that to ya. I stand corrected regarding NYC..specifically Harlem.
psychedelic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward,
Thanks for the posting. I visited Beijing a few years ago,and for the most part it was cool. You mentioned about some people carrying long,dangerous knives. Yeah, you were describing some thug,A*****E South Koreans that have attacked/threatened/cut some of my fellow Americans. This is fact and truth.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: