Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A teacher in Italy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyr81

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you say that 'reckon' is redneck slang?????? Im from sunny manchester, england and we use reckon all the time...i rememebr when i was studying french our teacher taught us the french equivilant.
A question ive been thinking about lately (wrong post i know) is should i teach breakfast, lunch and dinner or breakfast,dinner and tea? i always use the latter and so do millions of others in england......so which is better????
(neither! i thinki is the correct answer, but each to their own with opinions Very Happy )
John ELS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I should start using reckon.
I also reckon that anyone who says reckon with a Manchester accent won't be reckoned as a redneck but you should hear some of the "reckoners" from the states.
Breakfast dinner and tea? That just reminds me that I'm hungry. Laughing
horse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to that comment, where I come from we always used to drink our tea, so not sure if it even constitutes a meal.
hollyjeanette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny, yea reckon is totally redneck slang. And totally is bad california slang (sorry). How interesting are the differences between the "Queen's English" and the states. I remember watching the news when the horrendous bombing of the subway occurred in London. For a long time I was trying to figure out what happened because all the victims were referring to the bombing of a "carriage". I was trying to figure out what a baby carriage has to do with a terrorist attack. Needless to say, we use words differently. Cheers!
John ELS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollyjeanette wrote:
And totally is bad california slang (sorry). Cheers!

Yeah, totally. But it's like totally awesome when you like hear people use that raunchy shite, aint it?
John ELS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John ELS wrote:
*beep*, aint it?

I got beeped!
John Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: British Snobbery Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
Gregorio's point is relevant - native speakers, if anything, are less prescriptive and they are coming from a position of confidence.

I've known reputable colleges in the UK employ non-native speakers in certain situations, and frankly there is a far greater awareness of world Englishes here in the UK than in some EFL expatriate enclave elsewhere: which is where I expect you are writing from.

Wow what a thread! I just had to add my bit. I totally agree with SueH. Non-native speakers can be just as good teachers as native especially at the lower levels and I too know of a couple of "foreigners" working in UK schools teaching EFL.

It is true however that enlightened as the Brits might be in the UK, overseas language schools aren't and will stupidly insist on a mother tongue teacher over a better non-native speaker.
John ELS

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: British Snobbery Reply with quote

John Hamilton wrote:
It is true however that enlightened as the Brits might be in the UK, overseas language schools aren't and will stupidly insist on a mother tongue teacher over a better non-native speaker.

Well, it's not really that stupid, is it? If a student pays to have a native speaker, they should get a native speaker. Right?
horse

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a strange logic that classifies non-native speaker teachers as 'better' than native speakers, an assumption that the previous contributor has made. Why? Because someone who has learned the language from scratch has a better grasp of the grammar? Perhaps, perhaps not and, in any case, anyone who does not have the capacity to understand and explain the peculiarities of the language shouldn't really be a language teacher, should they? Is it elitist to suggest that a native speaker might have an equally good grasp of English than someone wo has learned it? Perhaps it's because a non-native teacher has a better idea of what it is like to learn a language? Again, this tends to ignore the possibility that a native speaker of English might also learn a second language. I would agree with JohnELS in that, if a course is marketed as mother tongue then the students who enrol have every right to expect a mother tongue teacher.
Frontline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twopennorth

When I worked in Italy, I had an Italian colleague whose English was so good I'd have said she was born in Hounslow. Nevertheless, the school told her to tell her students she was English, because the students expected English English teachers. She hated lying to her students, but it was that or lose her job.

I'm sure you're as good an English teacher as I am, but these places are selling a dream. You may have trouble finding work in Italy for this reason. Good luck anyway.

/twopennorth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: