Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveler11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Moving to Italy Reply with quote

I'm sure the answers are somewhere on the site, but - in a nutshell - how does one move to Italy legally? I am neither of Italian descent, nor do I have a work contract. I just have a Canadian passport and a love for Italy - so how can I go for longer than the standard 90 days as a tourist?
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illegally or via an employer sponsoring you.
traveler11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH...that's not too encouraging. Is it possible to get an extension on a 90 day stay? Do you need an excuse other than "I want to stay longer"?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, North Americans are not really legally eligible for long-term residence and work in Italy. I had a friend in your situation who went to Italy and worked anyway....and after four years of trying every possible avenue, finally had to give it up. She had great contacts, perfect Italian, and worked very hard, but no luck. In the end, working illegally was just to stressful.

There are rare cases where people do make it legally, like through marraige or working at an international school (requires teaching credentials in regular courses) or working for an international company that can swing work permits for you. It's rare....and unless you've got some serious contacts, you are facing some period of time working illegally in any case.

Sorry to be negative, but if you decide to try anyway, it's better to know the reality.... and who knows, you might get super-lucky.
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I sounded a bit curt, Traveler, but I was in a bit of a hurry. As spiral has pointed out, it's basically the truth. You can work up to 16 hours on a student visa. These questions have been asked before, so have a browse and you'll get a better feel for the situation. The following website may also be useful:
http://www.expatsinitaly.com/

TTFN
traveler11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue & Spiral . . . the info you provided is familiar, but I guess I keep hoping someone out there has found a loophole...but no luck so far!
joshsweigart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: visas Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have been searching through the threads on this board but can't seem to find any from North Americans who have obtained visas to work legally in Italy. I am thinking of trying to move to Rome but would prefer not to work illegally. From my experience in other EU countries, getting visas isn't such a big problem provided that the school gets the proper paper work to you before entering the country. Is Italy a special case? Are there any N. Americans working in Italy who have gone through the process of getting the correct documents?

Thanks in advance

Josh
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sound unhelpful again Josh, but why would a school go through all the bureaucracy of sponsoring you, proving they can't get anyone from the EU when it is so easy to employ an EU citizen. If you had a really recondite skill in some obscure IT arena, or an expert mechanic on some new Pratt & Whitney engine etc. it might be worth their while. We, as English teachers are fairly dispensible, I'm afraid.

Have a look at the website referred above which has a mainly American bias, but you'll find much the same there.
Frontline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<shrug> Working illegally in Italy is the norm. The rules are so confused over there that I managed to work there illegally despite being a fellow EU citizen. Don't ask.

You have no hope whatsoever of getting through Italy's bureaucratic maze... but the school you work for might. Make contact with as many schools as you can and make appreciative noises towards the one which says it can square things with the local police.

Yes it sounds weird to you as a law-abiding American citizen but you will never get on Italy unless you understand the way things are done there.

In fact, when I started in Italy I was told that I'd replaced an American woman who my school had been only too happy to sponsor until she turned up with her baby and brought it to all her lessons. Don't do anything quite that dumb and you'll be fine.

Good luck, and always be furbo!
joshsweigart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Italy Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I was in Poland for four years and spent a couple of those years working illegally--this led to problems when I got a job that required the correct documents. I guessed that some schools wouldn't mind hiring people illegally but I figure that they might also be less likely to uphold contractual obligations. Are there any problems like that in Italy?

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: