Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American (Hopefully!) going to SP has questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stillp800

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: American (Hopefully!) going to SP has questions Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!
I'm and American guy and I've done a year-long student exchange in Juiz de Fora, MG and I speak Portuguese fluently. What I would like to do is take a year off before college and go teach English in Brazil, ideally for a year. Does having TEFL certification or a bachelor's matter (Will they hire me without these things?)? Can I get a job before I head down there? Under the best circumstances, I'd like to get a work visa, but from what I've heard, this doesn't seem likely. So is six months the maximum time that you can stay on a tourist visa, and if you overstay are there serious consequences? I don't really want to mess up my "relationship with Brazil" so that it would affect my getting a visa to visit in the future. When I go there I'll be staying with my boyfriend in Sao Paulo (so it's not like I can just get married...) so that's where I'd like to get a job. I'll also be going to bartending school so maybe I can get a second job as well. Any answers, advice, or experiences that anyone's had would be welcome! Conversely, if anyone needs info on Brazil (eg, culture) or Portuguese language I can probably help you out (I don't want to feel like I'm taking without giving in return!)

Thanks!

Paul
amanda22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudo bom? Look into the program IICA. I am planning on doing it next year and there are some people in this forum who have done it. The website is: http://www.mgt.com.br/icbeu/

Look at the Trainees Reportings and Trainees Handbook. You teach English(and learn to teach it) for a year, working legally on a cultural visa and earn some money also. I think it's possible to arrange your own placement, seeing as how you already have a city in mind.

I'm not sure what your plans are for the future, but a great way to spend time in Brazil is going to college there. You said you speak Portuguese so you could always go down on a tourist visa and take the vestibular(entrance exam) to a private or federal university. (Private universities are easier to get into since you pay for them). I did this and my student visa was valid for as long as I was attending college there. You can't legally work, but you can always teach english on the side at a school or do private lessons.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Amanda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: